Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rossercat57 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 12:55 PM
    High blood pressure medication
    Is there anyone familiar enough with metoprolol to advise as to whether
    Ten days on a reduced dosage (reduction from 2 pills a day to 1 pill a day)could lead to stroke-like symptoms or actual stroke for a patient who has been on the medication for ten years?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 01:01 PM
    I understand 2 pills a day, down to 1, but what is the dosage? 50 mg? 100 mg? More?

Are you experiencing symptoms? If so, what kind?

I'll be glad to help, but need much more info.
    rossercat57 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 01:49 PM
    In relation to my question -- Is there anyone familiar enough with metoprolol to advise as to whether
    Ten days on a reduced dosage (reduction from 2 pills a day to 1 pill a day)could lead to stroke-like symptoms or actual stroke for a patient who has been on the medication for ten years?

The dosage of one pill is 50mgs.
    The patient is my elderly mother who has taken the meds for at least a decade. Yes, dizzy, disoriented, blood pressure high.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 01:55 PM
    I am familiar. I just need more info than what you gave.

She is experiencing symptoms because she cut down. She was on 100mg and that is her therapeutic dosage. She needs to remain at 100mg to keep these symptoms at bay.

Did her Dr cut her down? If so, she needs to get back to the doctor. It is apparent that the lesser dosage is not effective.

This medication is a Beta Blocker and should never be cut back for HTN without being under doctor's strict supervision. Cutting back and, and does, cause these symptoms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High Blood Pressure [ 10 Answers ]

Does anybody here have heard of any significant decrease in blood pressure with any natural medications or any foods? I for one have heard that eating raw garlic and celery has properties in it that help decrease blood pressure. Today and other days that I have checked my blood pressure and...

High Blood Pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I was told that by drinking a class of red wine helps lower your bloods pressure, is that true, if so, which red wines are the sweetest and taste more like fruit?

High Blood Pressure [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have high blood pressure when I eat a meal I have very high readings every time I have a meal It looks like sodium is causing the problems, I am on blood pressure medicine not really getting any help from my doctor,help me please

High blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Can the use of testerone and hgh cause high blood pressure?

View more questions Search