Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marzapan741 Posts: 478, Reputation: 14

Jul 2, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Sleep Paralysis
    (To under stand more about this please visit sleep paralysis - Google Search

Unfortunately, I have sleep paralysis. For those who don't know its problem when you sleep. What happens is, when sleeping, your body becomes paralyzed and as much as you want to move, talk, scream, or even breathe normally you can't.

If anyone has it, what do you do to stop the paralysis?
    Cinnabar Posts: 113, Reputation: 5

Jul 2, 2007, 07:58 AM
    When one is sleeping, the body enters a state of paralysis to prevent the person from acting out their dreams physically. With sleep paralysis, one wakes up but the state of paralysis hasn't ended. This is generally short-lived and nothing to worry about. It may be scary but the key thing is to tell yourself it will be over soon and that it's no big deal. Trying to move your facial muscles or your eyes can often help.

There are a couple of drugs available that can help prevent the problem but it's really not worth considering unless this has become a very serious problem.

Jul 2, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Oh I never knew you can prevent by moving certain body parts ^.^ I think I tried that once... But I don't remember.

Ty.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jul 2, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Some people are successful by changing their sleep habits. Try going to bed an hour earlier for a month and see if it lessens the occurrences. Also, are you on any medications? I experience sleep paralysis with scary associated hallucinations when I take anything that can cause drowsiness, such as antihistamines, or narcotic pain meds, perhaps yours is med related as well?

Sometimes it is just congenital, and even runs in families and all that can be done is to live with it.

Jul 2, 2007, 08:18 AM
    No I'm not an any medications. Could it be from stress? Or that I work out sometimes late at night?

Yea my mom told me this happens to her so I probably get it from her.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jul 2, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Yes, both stress and varying schedules can contribute. Try to go to sleep at the same time every night, regardless of your work schedule, eat healthy, and exercise. Can't hurt at all, and might help.

Jul 2, 2007, 03:33 PM
    True :)
    Ty.
    rachelander Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jul 2, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Hey, this happens to me too, and no one ever believed me when I told them. It only happens when I nap during the day and when I wake up I can hear everything around me, but can't talk or turn my head or move a muscle. It freaks me out, but I just make myslef go back to sleep and eventually I'll wake up enough that it goes away. I think it only heppens when I am really tired

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Never can sleep [ 5 Answers ]

I posted before and from what I said before I still haven't gotten much better. I did get an apartment with a friend and I will move in, in August. So that is good. But I can't sleep. Ever. Some days I have to wake up early and I get painfull headaches through out the day but I still can't sleep at...

Paralysis episodes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 15 yrs old Sometimes when I'm sleeping I get these episodes where frist I hear a rining in my ears, then my heart races real fast and during this process I can't move or talk. Lasts about 30 secs happens sometimes now more often though

Can't sleep AGAIN [ 2 Answers ]

I always wake up around 3:00 in the morning and can't get back to sleep.. then I'm exhausted every night by 9. It works well most days because I get a ton of work completed many mornings- but then on days when I don't have much to complete, it's brutal. My mind races in the mornings with all the...

Sleep Paralysis [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine described briefly to me what this was. It was briefly because she had only heard about it and didn't have much info. Could someone tell me more about it or where I can go to learn more? Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search