Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkdgal Posts: 51, Reputation: 13

Nov 21, 2010, 01:21 PM
    Unmotivated college student
    So, I'm a freshmen in college, nearing the end of my first semester, and I just feel really unmotivated to succeed. I don't know why, but I just feel stupid and worthless all the time, and like I really won't get anywhere in life. I was a perfectionist in high school, and I always had really good grades, but school back then was my life, and since the end of my senior year, I started putting a lot less effort into everything because I wanted to focus more on building my social life, since I was deprived of one all through middle and high school. I think I just have a major case of burnout, but it seems to be more than that. I rarely study or open my textbooks, I just take notes in class and do the minimum amount of work to pass, and sometimes not even that. I feel all alone in this also. I'm really shy and I have a hard time making friends, so I feel like in both aspects of my life (social and academic), I'm failing right now. I just want to be motivated and get out there and do good in school and be able to have relationships with people too. But I just don't care. I sit here all day, wishing my life was better, but I don't know what to do. I'm moving back to Michigan (from Georgia, where I go to school now) where I grew up, probably at the end of my freshmen year, so I don't feel like putting a lot of effort into any more classes down here because I'm moving anyway, and not a lot of things transfer to the college I want to go to up north. How do I... idk, make my life better, balance things out, and be excited/happy about this time in my life, as well as more productive and MOTIVATED to succeed? Thanks.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2010, 05:31 PM

It sounds like you moved away to go to school? If so, is this your first time away from family and friends? That can play a big part in adjusting. Many freshman go through a difficult transition as they get used to being out of their comfort zone and having to be more independent with their time. High school you are still in a very structured environment and the teachers check up on you... in college you are left to be self-disciplined. It is far too easy to start to focus more on the social aspects and less on why you are actually there! The transition to more adult responsibilities can be a challenge but a necessary part of growing up.

Have you looked into any school activities that you can get involved in? Joining others with similar interests can open the door for building some friendships. Sometimes, especially when you tend to be shy, you have to really push yourself to get out there and interact... take the risk, you might be surprised!

Set small goals for yourself. It may be as simple as making sure you put the time into a paper to get a decent grade. Small accomplishments can build your confidence and that in turn can build you sense of motivation to keep at it. Devote a set amount of time to school work. An hour of school work, and then you can go watch TV, get on the computer, check out something to do in town, whatever. It's finding a balance so that you don't feel one area is being neglected for the sake of another.

Since it is your freshman year, the credits should transfer to another college since they are likely general courses. Speak with an academic counselor and get more info on it.

If nothing else, think of the money this year is costing either your parents or you in student loans! You can indulge now and then in feeling unmotivated, or that things aren't going how you thought they would, but eventually you will need to make up your mind to push forward, make some changes, and make the investment count.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a college age student of a diabled parent receive help for college? [ 5 Answers ]

I am a fully disabled parent and wonder if my healthy 19 year old is eligible for financial assitance for college?

College student w/o w-2 but can I file tax to get college tuition credits back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a college student with no job income(no W-2 form) but do have few dollars of interest earned from saving account(1099-INT form). I know I do not have to file tax return since the income is extremely low. But I heard if I file tax return then I can get few hundreds of college tuition...

How to well in college being a new student [ 4 Answers ]

I am a new student at a junior college taking 4 classes. How do you study for them? Do I just study each class a little a day, or what? I am confused with How I will get all A's. It's a little overwhelming. Thanks

View more questions Search