My hair is falling out

Asked Jun 29, 2006, 11:26 AM 31 Answers
    I'm a 22 year old female and my hair is falling out! There is no history of early baldness in my family, and everything else seems normal. I think normally, 50-100 hairs should be falling out, but around 250-300 hairs have been falling out in a day. There are no bald spots, the hairs are coming out equally. I went to the doctor, but she said to take a multi-vitamin and exercise daily, which is good advice, but nothing I did not know already. Anyone know anything specific about this problem, please help!

Last edited by Curlyben; Aug 25, 2006 at 11:35 AM.
    Thomas1970's Avatar
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131
    Senior Member

#2

Jul 2, 2006, 12:46 AM
    Hi Readyok,
    Sorry to hear about your follicle foibles. There are indeed many possible causes of this condition. Your doctor's recommendation of a multi-vitamin is indeed good advice, and yet, though I'm not a doctor, I am relatively skeptical this is going to turn out to be a ready cure, given the severity of loss you describe. Dietary factors that could influence this condition:
    An excess of vitamin A or a lack of Iron are two possibilities. The most plausible dietary cause of such an extreme loss, that I can think of, would likely be a gross excess of the trace mineral Selenium, but dietary overdoses of Selenium are very rare, and in any case, your fingernails would to fall out as well.
    Inadequate protein in the diet is another possibility. A lack of certain dietary proteins also often go hand in hand with inadequate dietary fat. Vitamins A, D, E and K are all fat or oil soluble. Vitamin E is a natural antifungal, and inadequate Vitamin E in the diet or the ability to absorb such can lead to unhealthy skin and help promote the growth of fungal skin infections. This is another possible cause. You might try washing your hair with tea tree oil shampoo for a while and see if this helps. Tea tree oil is a very potent and safe natural anti-fungal. Nature's Gate is an excellent and highly effective brand available in most whole food markets and any decent health food store. You could follow this up with a good vitamin enhanced conditioner. Try not to overwash your hair though, as the oils you strip out are the body's natural defense, and though conditioner can be somewhat good, it is certainly no replacement.
    Lastly, in the nutritional circle, there is always a chance that Vitamin K could be a round-about factor. Vitamin K is essential to blood clotting, and any deficit of the blood's natural functions could possibly lead to poor nutrition of the scalp, thus leading to poor conditions for hair growth. Vitamin K is largely produced by bacteria in the intestines. Any condition that causes a disruption of the natural balance of intestinal flora could theoretically impair the synthesis of such.
    As far as exercise, I'm not really sure how this would play any major factor, other than the maintenance of overall health, lowering of stress hormones such as cortisol, and getting adequate exposure to sunlight. Sunlight being necssary for the synthesis of Vitamin D, which in turn is necessary for the absorption of Calcium.
    One final dietary factor worth noting under specific conditions is Iodine. Most people get adequate amounts of dietary Iodine in their diet, though if you do not salt your food, or use non-iodized salt, there is always a possibility you are deficient. Iodine is a critical component in the manufacture of thyroid hormones, the thyroid being a major regulator in functions of the endocrine system. The inability to produce sufficient thyroid hormones can lead to a condition known as hypothyroidism. This can occur for various reasons, not necessarily dietary, and can be a relatively common condition, often manifesting in women your age. It is not generally a serious condition, and can be easily treated with pharmaceutical supplementation, given that Iodine is not the factor. This condition definitely has the potential to cause the extreme overall hair loss you describe, and is definitely worth inquiring about or checking into if nothing else seems to help. Particularly if you notice any unusual weight gain, fatigue, or unusually dry skin.
    Other possible, more transient factors include the use of birth control pills, and any relatively recent, more severe illness such as a prolonged case of the flu. Hairs are normally at different stages of growth at any given time. In the case of serious illness, you body would tend to down-regulate more non-essential functions. Within months following the illness, hair may begin to appear to be falling out more than usual, due to more closely synchronized growth cycles following the eventual resumption of such formerly depressed processes.
    The two final common factors that I could think of, would be: Overtreatment of the hair, causing it to break off near, but visibly without, the root. And lastly, a condition know as traction alopecia, which could theoretically occur if you frequently wear your hair in a style such as a ponytail. Pulling the hair back too tightly for prolonged periods, can in some cases cause damage, resulting in the hair subsequently falling out at the root rather than breaking off as would normally be expected.
    Other than cancer treatment or relatively recent childbirth, this is really about all I can come up with at this time. I hope this is of some help in narrowing down some possible causes, though I'd gladly try to answer any other questions you might have. Good luck. Hope things improve soon. Take care.
    Caracalla's Avatar
    Caracalla Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

#3

Jul 2, 2006, 02:49 AM
    Biotin will surly help, but you should talk to your doctor how many milligrams?

Regards
    fredg's Avatar
    fredg Posts: 4,930, Reputation: 674

#4

Jul 2, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Hi, read,
    Personally, I would consult with another Doctor, maybe even with a Dermotologist, or a Specialist in this area.
    There must be good medical reasons for this to be happening, and it could be associated with something your current doctor knows nothing about. Getting another opinion is always good, if it does nothing but confirm the first opinion.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    binx44's Avatar
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88

#5

Aug 11, 2006, 06:37 AM
    I have that exact problem with my hair too.. no baldness in my family nor am I showing bald spots but the hair comes out so much its unreal.. its everywheres in my house. I've tried shampoos and tea shampoos I don't know how to stop it
    QandA's Avatar
    QandA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#6

Aug 25, 2006, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by readyok
    [F]I'm a 22 year old female and my hair is falling out! There is no history of early baldness in my family, and everything else seems normal. I think normally, 50-100 hairs should be falling out, but around 250-300 hairs have been falling out in a day. There are no bald spots, the hairs are coming out equally. I went to the doctor, but she said to take a multi-vitamin and exercise daily, which is good advice, but nothing I did not know already. Anyone know anything specific about this problem, please help!
    Subject: Hair falling out; hair loss for no apparent reason

Hi Readyok,

I have seen sudden hair loss in many individuals with an overloaded immune system from delayed food and chemical allergies. When the individuals discovered the foods/chemicals causing the delayed allergies--and eliminate said from their diet/environment, the hair loss usually stops. The offending foods/chemicals are discovered via a simple blood test and then eliminated from the diet/environment for a period.

A few questions:
    1) Have you recently been exposed to any chemicals in your environment such as paint fumes; carpet fumes; fumes/smell from a new car; exposure to chemicals from a new job; started using fabric softener or bleach in you clothes/bedding; gas fumes from a stove/oven or heating system?

2) Have you moved into a new living environment recently?

3) Been recently exposed to mold in your living environment or work environment?

4) Started using perfume; changed your perfume recently?

5) Recently been placed on medication(s).

6) Recently had a medical procedure causing you to be anesthetized?

7) Recently given birth?

8) Do you have a yeast infection?

9) Do you know if you have candida albicans (yeast overgrowth) with symptoms such as itchy skin in groin or anis area; rash around mouth; consistent rash on other areas of skin?

10) Do you consume dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.)?

11) Drinking water/other liquids from a plastic bottle?

12) Recently purchased a new bed?

13) Recently been exposed to insecticides or fumigation?

14) Recently had dental work?

15) Recently dyed your hair?

16) What other chronic symptoms--if any--do you have, i.e. headaches; constipation; indigestion; arthritis; PMS (if a woman); depression; tiredness; joint pain; hyperactive; inability to focus.

17) Do you have any diseases such as diabetes (type I or type II; asthma; etc.

Let me know the answers to the above and I may be able to provide you with a path to a possible solution.

QandA
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,473, Reputation: 759

#7

Sep 1, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Are you on any type of medication? Different types of medications can cause hair loss.
    fed up's Avatar
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

#8

Sep 4, 2006, 06:36 PM
    Ask your doctor to check your hormone levels. They can be responsible for many problems.
    grandma215's Avatar
    grandma215 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

#9

Sep 5, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Hi, I'm new here, but I had the same problem and the Doctors check me for thyroid problems and I needed medication. It helped with my problem for years but I notice I am beginning to fine a lots of hair in my sink and shower, so I think I need another blood test to see if my medication needs to be stronger. The doctor has up the strength of it several time for me. So you may need to have your thyroid check out. This was my solution. I hope you fine yours soon. Good luck.
    jgj6331's Avatar
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

#10

Sep 9, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1970
    As far as exercise, I'm not really sure how this would play any major factor, other than the maintainence of overall health, lowering of stress hormones such as cortisol, and getting adequate exposure to sunlight. Sunlight being necssary for the synthesis of Vitamin D, which in turn is necessary for the absorption of Calcium.
    Obesity is a leading cause of diffuse hair loss in women. Fat binds up estrogen - allowing testerone (yes, women have some floating around too) to act unopposed as it does in men. The physician might having been suggesting weight loss (through exercise) in a subtle way... See a dermatologist.

Hair falling out [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , My problem is commonly found these days in youth. I'm 26 now and have smoked for many years. But currently I stopped smoking from the past couple of months. For the past couple of years my hair started falling severely and almost getting into bald head now. I'm sure smoking could be...

Everything is falling apart... [ 32 Answers ]

Okay... so I don't know exactly where this question belongs so I am putting it here. Please bear in mind that I need any and all points of view here. My husband told me today about an idea he had about earning money. He said that if he goes to work for a company in another province, he could...

My hair is falling out [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a 22 year old female and my hair is falling out! There is no history of early baldness in my family, and everything else seems normal. I think normally, 50-100 hairs should be falling out, but around 250-300 hairs have been falling out in a day. There are no bald spots, the hairs are coming out...

Chow's hair falling out [ 4 Answers ]

We have had our chow for 8 years, and the past year, he is losing his hair.vet was never able to help. Will his hair ever grow back ? Thanks.

I'm falling apart.. . [ 9 Answers ]

I don't know if anyone has read my first post I listed, but over the weekend, I had a nervous breakdown and went to the hospital. Luckily, I didn't have to stay because I'm not suicidal, but they did prescribe some anti-depressants and some sleeping pills. I just feel truly heartbroken and on...