Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unicos Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 12:51 AM
    Newly using CPVC plumbing pipe
    Hi:

I am newly using CPVC pipe for my house aging metal pipe replacement.
    Concerns many joints/fitting involve. If I did water test and proven no more leak, will future can still have leak problem occurs at other different joints location?
    Because once dry wall cover up, wall build in, any future leak will really be a problem for me.

Thanks

VICTOR
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 01:31 AM

Yes, you may have leak later on and after wall is refinished. To minimize later leaks, you should always use proper primer and glue, make sure both ends of pipe and fitting are dry and clean. Then pressurize new pipes at normal operating pressure and leave new pipes exposed for a week or so. If you have weak joint in your system you should be able to detect it within this period.

Feb 21, 2009, 01:44 AM

Milo:

Thanks for your helpful info. I have done thorough CPVC cement/solvent joining, and see no more leak at this time. I just joint the pipe during last 2 days for inlet cold water, hot water line, and also line to 1 toilet, 1 sink and 1 shower tub.
    This gets little tricky now. It will be hard for me to leave CPVC pipe expose for 1 week to ensure no leak, because I need to close the wall and mounting cabinet on the other side of room soon.

How about I do J B weld (its a popular epoxy glue which can weld and seal any surface perminent) each joint on the fitting so to prevent any more later on joint area leak?

Otherwise, I may needs to go back to use new galvinize pipe because I know that I can seal that tight.

VICTOR
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 01:49 AM

I would not use anything else but the solvent recommended by CPVC manufacturer. Always use primer. Primer makes joint "welded" not glued together. Go over the joints with bare fingers before you cover up wall. In case of minute leak, you will fell it on tips of your finger. Don't forget to nail on Nail Protectors in places where pipe penetrates wood member. This way, you protect pipe from nails and screws going into studs. Overall, if you feel comfortable with your work - cover up.

Feb 21, 2009, 01:58 AM

What I mean is to put additional JB WELD touch up on outside of pipe where the joint has already been done properly with CPVC solvent and primer.
    The additional touch up on the outside joint is to give an extra asurance just in case of whichever joint leak later.

Also, I hear CPVC pipe should strap to wood or wall not too tight due to expansion and contraction. I am wondering how tight is tight?
    I need to hold it in place, CPVC pipe is not like metal pipe which is strong.

PS- I am using 1/2" and 3/4" pipe.
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 02:02 AM

JB Weld may contain chemicals that will deteriorate both pipe and/or the weld. I would not use JB Weld.

You can purchase 1/2" and 3/4" "Two Hole Pipe Straps". They sell them in galvanized, copper and plastic version. For CPVC I would recommend plastic ones. They are sized to fit the pipe exactly the way they should. No more adjustments necessary.

Feb 21, 2009, 02:07 AM

Thanks again.

I will try my best to do thorough leak check.
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 02:14 AM

Good luck... Come back to let us know how you did !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Galvanized pipe to either Copper/CPVC pipe [ 14 Answers ]

I had a leak in my cold water feed which happens to be galvanized pipe. It was between 2 floors and I cut out the affected section. I am going to replace the cut out section with either copper or CPVC. But how does one connect unthreaded galvanized pipe to the after mentioned pipes? I don't know if...

Pvc glue on cpvc pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I accidentally used pvc cement to glue some cpvc fittings to cpvc piping. Am I looking for problems if I don't re-do these joints? Should I re-do both the cold water and hot water joints?

Cpvc pipe and fitting [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a quick dry glue for cpvc pipe and fitting

Cpvc vs other types of plumbing [ 7 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages between various piping... looks like I may have a good deal of plumbing that will need replacing and I would like to know what are good and bad of most popular types... thanks for any help as always.. TommyP:)

How do you identify existing cpvc or pvc pipe. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a solar heater on my swimming pool. The three way control valve has failed and I need to replace it. The manufacturer sells both pvc and cpvc valves. How do I know which one I have? Doug

View more questions Search