Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kurtholz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2009, 03:31 PM
    ask statistics questions
    I'm having a difficult time getting my head around the idea that B and A in the regression equation
    Y= BX + A are statistics and that their signifcance can be estimated. Where is the sample of Bs and As, from which the standard error of each estimate is derived? I'd prefer an explanation that I can visualize. For instance, I'm thinking that on a scatterplot, the sample of As are points (derived from B) on the Y axis and connected to each of the data points by lines with the same slope as the regression line. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2009, 08:17 AM

B (as you're calling it) is the slope of the line of best fit that goes through your scatter plot. And A (as you're calling it) is the y-intercept of that same line. The reason I keep saying "as you're calling it" is because most textbooks generically indicate the regression line as y = Ax + B, not Bx + A as you've indicated. No one way is technically more correct than the other, just a matter of convention.
    kurtholz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Interesting. It turns out that different disciplines use different notations; but they all mean the same thing. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still wondering about the standard error of these estimates, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

T/F Statistics Questions [ 2 Answers ]

Did I answer these correctly? True 1.A simple random sample is formulated in such a manner that each item or person in the population has an equal chance of being included in the sample. False 2.If nonprobability methods are used, not all items or people have a chance of being included...

Statistics questions [ 1 Answers ]

let say 20% percent of americans used the emergency room last year. Now if I choose 17 people at random find the probability that 6 of them used the emergency room last year. Also finf the probability that at least 5 used the emergency room last year. Finally find the mean and the variance of...

Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

What is the probability of an individual in a game where six of thirty-six are to be chosen, losing 100 times?

View more questions Search