Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stewartlindsay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 01:18 PM
    Gradient of Tangents Calculus
    Find the gradient of the tangent to the curve y= square root x plus 8/square root x at the point (4,6)
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 01:26 PM

Please use proper grouping so we know what you mean. I knew this by plugging in x=4 and seeing if I got 6.

To find the gradient, we need the slope at that point.

Find the derivative of y, then plug in x=4. That should be the slope at that point.

Can you find the derivative of y?

The derivative may be easier to find by rewriting as

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problems in tangents and normals [ 2 Answers ]

Please help me find the solutions in the problems below. I will really appreciate any help. Here it goes... In the first problem, find the equation of the line to the ff. conics at the given point. 1.) 3x^2 - 3xy + 4x + y - 3 = 0 given point: (-1,1) Answer: 5x - 4y + 9 = 0 Next problem,...

How do I find a gradient with a equation? [ 1 Answers ]

I know how to find the gradient but the question gives a equation 2x - 5y = 18 how do I find x and y to draw a graph?

Gradient of tangent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, How would I solve this? A tangent to the hyperbola y=1/(2x) , x>0 cuts the y- axis at the point y=2 Find the gradient of this tangent? If I differentiate the hyperbola, I would get -1/(2x^2) and then I don't know how to go on about doing it. Thanks

Differitentiation Tangents [ 1 Answers ]

Hey there could would you work out the value of c in this. The line y=4x-1 is tangent to the curve with the equation y=x^4+c. Find the value of "c"? Thanks

Linear equations concerning tangents [ 11 Answers ]

Hi Can you please answer this question and show me the solution, cheers. Show that the line 3x-4y+15=0 is a tangent to the circle x^2+y^2=9 Thanks

View more questions Search