Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aseperatepeace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Algebra 2 finding the determinant of a four by four matrices using ellimination.
    How do you find the determinant of this four by four matrices by using ellimination?

MY MATRICES:

0 -2 3 -4
    -5 -6 7 -8
    9 -10 11 -12
    13 -14 -15 16

P.S I know how to find the determinant of a three by three and a two by two easily using ellimination, but struggle with a four by four.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2009, 09:00 AM

It is tedious to do these things by hand. In my opinion, it has become rather anachronistic to do these manually when calculators will do them lickety-split. The important thing is knowing when to use a det. Let a calculator do the grunt work. One can use cofactors. Or, using row reduction methods, turn the matrix into a upper or lower triangular matrix and bring out common factors to multiply.

I will tell you the determinant is -2128.

There is something to shoot for if you want to give it a go.

There are some det laws that are helpful to know.

Here is an example of what I mean.

Interchange first and second rows:

Remove a common factor of 3 from the first row:

-2 times first row added to third row:

-10 times second row added to third row:

Remove a common factor of -55 from the last row:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Matrices finding equation [ 7 Answers ]

Use a system of equations to find the specified equation that passes through the points (-2,4) (0,6) and (2,0). Solve the system using matrices.

Determinant of interest rates [ 1 Answers ]

If real risk-free rate is 4 percent. Inflation is expected to be 2 percent this year and 5 percent during the next 2 years. Assuming that the maturity risk premium is zero. What is the yield on 2-year v.s. 3-year Treasury securities?

MATRICES discussion [ 1 Answers ]

Write a system of equations with 3 variables and 3 equations. Give the matrix equation that represents your system. Explain how to solve your matrix equation.

Determinate matrices [ 1 Answers ]

I know how to compute determinants its not very difficult but I get confused when there are weird notations thrown in. So I'm not exactly sure on this question computer det(A-λI) for this linear system x_1 + 2x_2 = λx_1 2x_1 + x_2 = λx_2 I know that the characteristic equation is λ^2 -...

Vectors and matrices [ 1 Answers ]

using these linear equations: 2x + 5y= 6 3x + 4y= 8 I have to write these in the form AX= B where A, X and B are matrices. how do I do this??

View more questions Search