Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Oct 21, 2009, 01:59 PM
    Deriving the equation for the rest-mass energy of a non relativistic object
    Hello I am asked to derive this formula by applying a binomial expansion to the expression for 'gamma factor' (that funny y shaped symbol). To make things clear I will denote gamma as 'y' and beta as 'b'

Now I know that yb = ((y-1)(y+1))^1/2 and have proved it by changing b into an expression for y to get the right side of the equation.

Now I am asked to use the binomial expansion on the expression for y to get this:

ymc^2 = mc^2 + 1/2mv^2

O_o

Which expression do I have to use? I read somewhere that objects at low speeds have y approaching to 1, how does this help me?

Check out some similar questions!

Mass of an object [ 4 Answers ]

An object is found to move with an acceleration of magnitude 6 m/s2 when it is subjected to a force of magnitude 214 N. How do I find the mass of the object?

Converting mass into energy? [ 1 Answers ]

calculate how much energy would be released if each of the following masses were converted into entirely into their equivalent energy: (A) a carbon atom of with a mass of 2 X 10^-26. (B) 1 kilogram. (C) a planet as massive as the Earth (6 X 10^24).

Transferrence of energy to mass [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to teach myself physics this summer and have just come across Eistein's e=mc2 formula. This gives a correlation between energy and mass, and that when energy is imparted to an object the object will gain mass, and in the presence of gravity weight. Does this mean that energy has an...

Charged object with mass in uniform electric field. [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to relate these things together? Uniform electric field (given) Charged object (charge given) in that electric field w/a mass... must be found when the object is "floating" on the field ...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.