Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 7, 2008, 11:21 PM
    Raffle tickets, odds when buying more than one ?
    This is a for real raffle, 129000 tickets will be sold, 7400 prizes will be awarded. If you

Buy one ticket, you have a 1 in 18 chance of winning a prize. If I bought 3 tickets, would

The odds change very much or still be about the same ?

Thanks in advance for responding!!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 12:27 PM
    If you buy 3 tickets your odds of winning at least one prize do indeed go up, by almost a factor of 3. Of course it costs you 3 times as much to play. The way to figure this out is to calculate the odds of winning at least one prize, which is equal to one minus the odds of not winning any prize. The odds of any one ticket being a loser is 121600/129000,or about 94.3%. So the odds of all three tickets being losers is 0.943^3 = 83.8%. Subtract that from 1, and you find that the odds of winning at least one prize is 1 - .838 = 16.2%. This is a little less than 3 times the odds of winning if you buy only 1 ticket - the reason it's less than 3 times is that you have a small chance of actually winning two prizes, or even 3.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability on raffle draw. [ 13 Answers ]

Hi can anyone help, I have put all the birth dates from the last 75 years in draw and twice a day I pick a winner. Assuming I have 22000 members of which 400 visit my establishment every day-you have to be in the building at the time of the draw to win if not it rolls over. Can anyone tell me what...

Raffle taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I recently won a large cash raffle. Of course, I want to get the taxes paid now to avoid any penalties for underpayment. Here are the details: It was a 50/50 raffle, cash prize was declared to be $15,000 The organization is a tax-exempt entity. They hold a similar raffle 6-8 times per year...

What are the odds of this? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a credit score of 592, I am 20 years old and have only 500 in debt, I make $44,000 have a wife a 2 kids. I'm trying to get a house that costs $69,500 with Texas First Time Homebuyers trying to assist me. I can't sleep because the woman I talk to about the program and loan hasn't called me...

Odds against [ 1 Answers ]

If the probability of a boy being born is 1/2, and a family plans to have four children, what are the odds against having all boys? If the odds in favor of Fast Legs winning a horse race are 5 to 2 and the first prize is $14,000, what is the expected value of Fast Leg's winning? How...

Buying Tickets in another country [ 1 Answers ]

I am an American currently living in Britain, but because of the dreadful foreign exchange rate, I'm wondering if it's possible to purchase tickets via a friend or a website in the US and pay with my credit card (also American). Is this possible? Thank you!

View more questions Search