Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AZgrammie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 12:00 PM
    House water tank elevation
    We are getting ready to install an external 400-gallon water tank for our remote cabin. How high do we need to place it in order to have adequate pressure without the need for a pressure tank or pump? I figure the bottom should be about as high as the top of the hot water tank, am I right? There will be no dishwasher or washing machine, but there is a shower!
    Thanks, Lis
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 3, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Well Liz, I sure hate to bust yo bubble but let's see how high your 400 gallon tank should be to give you at least a little over 20 PSI in your cabin, ( regular house pressure is 45 PSI).. For every foot of height add .434 Psi. That works out to a about a 50 foot tower. If you wanted to bring it up to regular house pressure you would have to put your tank on a 100 foot tower. What you're going to hafta do is install a booster pump and a bladder tank. Sorry I couldn't wave a magic wand and give you the pressure you desire but universal physics got in the way. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 12:53 PM
    I have seen systems like you want in England and some remote cabins in the US. You would not be happy with this setup and you'll have a bear of a time trying to get your hot water heater to operate effectively. How are you getting the water into the tank to begin with, isn't there a pump?
    salihburhan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2011, 06:12 AM
    I have the same problem. Folks here put tanks at a height of about 4 meters (13 feet?). It seems to work with them. I could not manage to get water properly flowing. Could it be where I put the tank? Mine is 40-50 meters (130 feet?) away from the house.

Liz, if you manage to make it work, can you post it here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank doesn't refill. No water in tank make it flush [ 17 Answers ]

My toilet was working properly before tonight. :p There was no slow leak sound; nothing. Now when the handle is pressed, nothing happens. I opened up the tank and found there was no water in the tank. :( I've been searching the Internet for answers, but haven't found any that address this...

Water pressure against tank height and tank water capacity [ 5 Answers ]

Normally the head pressure of water is .433 pounds per foot of head. Is there any change in pressure by changing the tank water capacity. e.g. if two tanks of 50ft height having water capacity of one is 10,000 gallons and other one has 20,000 gallons. What will be the water pressure difference...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Angles of elevation [ 1 Answers ]

Heyy Amy sees a radio tower at a bearing of 293 degrees and measures the angle of elevation to the top of the tower at 10 degrees. John is 350 metres from amy and measures the angle of elevation to the top of the tower at 6 degrees. The bearing from john to amy is 252 degrees. Find the height of...

Shower trap and drain line elevation [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning to build a shower stall, and would like to know how much height I should have available under the floor for the trap and drain line. I'll be using 1 1/2" ABS pipe.

View more questions Search