Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tangaroo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Raffle taxes
    I recently won a large cash raffle. Of course, I want to get the taxes paid now to avoid any penalties for underpayment. Here are the details:

It was a 50/50 raffle, cash prize was declared to be $15,000
    The organization is a tax-exempt entity.
    They hold a similar raffle 6-8 times per year and has been going on for many years.
    The person presenting me my check asked for my name, SS#, and address.
    I was given a check for $15,000... no taxes of any kind were withheld.
    I was warned to expect a 1099 in January.

Now, from what I read about cash raffle winnings, the organization is REQUIRED to withhold taxes at 25% whenever the winnings are greater than $5,000. See IRS Pub. 3079 and Notice 1340. In fact, it says that under this scenario, the organization must send the 25% tax to the IRS regardless of whether they withheld it from the proceeds. If it doesn't withhold as it is supposed, the organization "will be liable for the tax."

I've asked numerous sources, all of whom say that even if the organization made a mistake by not withholding, I still owe the tax. Yet, this seems contrary to what the IRS publications say. I understand the concept of "You won the prize, you owe the tax." But... no one has been able to explain what the IRS means when they say that the organization becomes liable for the tax if they do not withhold it from the proceeds, and that they must pay it even if they don't withhold it. If it doesn't mean what it says, then OK, I'll just accept it and send in my estimated payment. However, if the organization just put themselves on the hook for it because they failed to withhold (and as the rules seem to indicate), then I want to pursue that.

Even an accountant I discussed it with told me that he was aware of this organization, and though it is a benevolent one, they do not always follow the "rules" for their raffles... out of careless, not through intent. He says "just pay the tax". Yet, since he was unaware of the publications I quote above, I have a hard time following his advice.

Should I just give up and pay the estimated taxes now? Should I wait until I get a tax form in January? I probably would not owe a penalty if I don't pay anything till then. Or, should I pursue making them accept responsibility for the tax, if in fact it IS their resposibility... and if so, what steps would I take to ensure this gets done?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 12, 2007, 10:23 AM
    If you believe that your current federal taxes withholdings from your day job will not cover the taxes on this $15K, then, yes, pay the estimated taxes.

The charity organization may be subject to a fine from the IRS for not "following the rules" (if YOU report tem), but it will not affect your tax liability. You will OWE the tax regardless; that cannot be avoided.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability on raffle draw. [ 13 Answers ]

Hi can anyone help, I have put all the birth dates from the last 75 years in draw and twice a day I pick a winner. Assuming I have 22000 members of which 400 visit my establishment every day-you have to be in the building at the time of the draw to win if not it rolls over. Can anyone tell me what...

Taxes [ 10 Answers ]

Say that Hambro has a semimonthly payroll of 38,000 on September 15. The total payroll is taxable under FICA taxes HI; $32, 850 is taxable under FICA taxes OASDI; and 9,300 is taxable unders FUTA and SUTA. The sate contribution rate for the company is 3.1%. The amount withheld for fedral income...

I did not file my taxes but had taxes taken out of my check [ 14 Answers ]

I'm kind of worried here... I don't know why I didn't, but it is what it is. I just didn't file my taxes for 2005 and 2006. I also worked for a company in 2004 that paid me in personal buisiness checks that I would cash at citibanks, etc. but they never had me fill out any paperwork and never...

Taxes wi/va [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my husband lives and works in VA. I live with our son in Wisconsin. My husband claims us on Federal Tax but not on VA state. If I get employment in WI how will this affect our Federal/state taxes? Very small town here so maybe only part time job available... Thanks...

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

View more questions Search