Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sirinivas Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 10:24 PM
    probability
    The probability that a player A wins a game against B is 0.7.The players may play either "a best of 3 games" or "a best of 5 games". If A has been asked to choose,
    then which option should he choose,so that he wins the match?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 10:32 PM

You need to find the expected number of wins over 3 and over 5 games.

Expectation is given by

where n is the number of trials (games) and p the probability of winning the game.

Can you complete it now? The one with the higher expectation is the better.

Post what you get! :)

Oct 10, 2010, 11:18 PM

Can u explain it briefly
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 11:27 PM

Let's have an example.

When you throw an arrow, you have a probability of 0.9 of hitting the bullseye. When you throw 10 arrows, you will expect that (10 x 0.9) = 9 arrows will hit the bullseye and 1 will miss. 9 is the 'winning' expectation.

Now you do the same with your problem.

The one where the expectation is the highest is the better.

Oct 11, 2010, 01:02 AM
    probabilty
    The probability that a player A wins a game against B is 0.7.The layerd may play either "a best of 3 games" or a best of five games". If A has been asked to choose, then which option should he choose, so that he wins the match?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Geometric probability, conditional probability with area of square [ 2 Answers ]

Chose a point at random in a square with sides 0<x<1 and 0<y<1. Let X be the x coordinate and Y be the y coordinate of the point chosen. Find the conditional probability P(y<1/2 / y>x).

Probability Help [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to figure out if I did my homework correctly. The question is: Consider the experiment of rolling two dice. The outcome on each die can be any number of dots from 1 to 6. The dice are specially manufactured such that the probability of an even number (of dots) is twice that...

Another Probability [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if I got this question right. A food distributor carries 64 varieties of salad dressing. Appleton Markets stocks 48 of these flavors. Beacon Stores carries 32 of them. The probability that a flavor will be carried by Appleton or Beacon is 15/16. Find the probability a flavor...

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

the probability that an adult was never married is 15%. In a random survey of 10 adults, what is the probability that at least 8 were married

Probability [ 2 Answers ]

the probability that an individual is left-handed is 0.13 In a class of 42 students, what is the probability of finding 5 left-handers

View more questions Search