Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twanger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Sewer Gas Odor/Air Bubble
    For about the past month we have noticed what appears to be a sewer gas odor in all areas of drains in our 2 1/2 bath home. Also notice a large "air bubble" in the toilet when it is flushed (as soon as it is flushed, before the water leaves the bowl, a large bubble of air comes up). Also the water level in that toilet is lower than what it used to be. When the upstairs toilet is flushed some very small air bubbles come up as the water is leaving the bowl. Both toilets "rock" very little.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 1, 2007, 07:56 AM
    The "bubble" indicates a blockage. The discharge hits a clog and bounces back sending a bubble of sewer gas ahead of it. Are you on city sewer or a septic tank? By, " Both toilets "rock" very little." do you mean they are both loose? Let us know. Tom
    twanger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 09:23 AM
    I'm on city sewer. This toilet (with the "bubble") rocks a little more than the other one, and I "think" it is the last drain before it goes to city sewer. Would a blockage cause other toilets, or, drains to "bubble"? What about the water level in the bowl, does that provide other indications?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 1, 2007, 12:35 PM
    This could be a local blockage in the toilet or clos in the toilet drain line. Have you used a closet auger,(see image) and augered out the bowl? Since the toilets rock It's a pretty safe bet that the wax seal's ruptured on both of them letting sewer gas enter your home. I would auger the bubbling one and then pull and reset each with a new wax seal. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad sewer odor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bad sewer odor in my master bath.I notice the smell more when the heat is turned on, which is located next to the toilet! But I also smell it coming from the tub and shower drain's. I turn the water on once a day to make sure there's water in the trap's?Any suggestion's.

Sewer odor [ 1 Answers ]

We live in the country and suddenly we get a sewer oder when we walk in our back door. The septic tank seems to be draining properly. The odor is starting to be slightly noticeable in the rest of the house but is strongest at the back door.

Sewer Gas Odor Outside [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with sewer gas outside my house. It's a new house on a septic system. I am reasonably sure that it is coming from the vents since it is worse on cold days or when the wind is just right. I was wondering if there are any kind of filters to put in the vents or if there is any...

Sewer Gas Odor Problem [ 5 Answers ]

Ranch home with large 2 sink, shower, and toilet master bathroom. Only when it gets cold out, I have problem with backup of septic gas. I live in FL. Toilet is vented to roof. Roof vent is clear. Is it too short? Do I have a sewer line break? Bad seal on toilet? Ordor seems to come from sink and...

Sewer Odor [ 4 Answers ]

I've had a sewer odor from all three toliets in my 2 year old house for about 1 1/2 yrs now. We are on public sewer and the builder is stumped (he hasn't however, been in the house to smell for himself) It seems to get worse when it rains... any suggestions? I'm concerned that my 5 year old son is...

View more questions Search