Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    szamy004 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2009, 06:37 PM
    Standard deviation?
    I dot understand what to do in this question? For the SD I know how to find that using a computer but is there a manual way to do it?

Question

An iPod had about 10,000 songs. Assume the standard deviation for the population is 300 seconds.
    What is the standard deviation of the average time when you take a simple random sample of 36 songs from this population?
    How many songs would you need to sample if the standard deviation of x to be 30 seconds?
    Suppose the true mean duration of the play time for the song in the iPod is 350 seconds. What is the probabiltiy that the sample mean differs from the population mean by more then 19 seconds when 30 songs are chosen?

Help please??

Thanks in advance :-)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 10:08 PM
    As to standard deviation, do you mean the standard deviation for the sample mean? That is, the population one is the 300, and you can also figure out the s.d. of the sample itself, except that it doesn't provide the information to do so. That's an annoying tedious process anyway.

But then there's the s.d. of the sample means, which is what you need to work with this. That equation is:

That is

To get how many would be needed, plug the answer of 30 back into the above equation and then solve for n.

As for that last part, either someone else can grab that or I might if I have time later. Right now my brain's getting to be a fog. :D

Aug 31, 2009, 03:10 AM

by plug 30 back into the equation do you mean, 300/30?
    sorry I'm starting to get confused, thanks for your help though, its really helping me out.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 01:17 AM

I already wrote it out for you at the bottom of the post. 30 is the answer, not the denominator.

Sep 1, 2009, 01:40 AM

Oh sorry, thank you so much for your help :-) I'm trying to the other question now god my lecturer is so bad. Again thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Standard Deviation [ 1 Answers ]

A medical researcher treats 100 subjects with high cholesterol with a new drug. The average decrease in cholesterol level is = 80 after two months of taking the drug. Assume that the decrease in cholesterol after two months of taking the drug follows a normal distribution, with unknown mean ...

Standard Deviation [ 2 Answers ]

The weights ( in pounds) of a sample of five boxes being sent by UPS are :12,6,7,3, and 10. Compute the standard deviation. I'm not quite sure where to start with this problem What formula do I use for this problem?

Standard Deviation [ 2 Answers ]

On one of my homework assignments I had this question: A coin is tossed 72 times. Find the standard deviation for the number of heads that will be tossed. Could you please help me get started? Then I will be fine. Thank you, Cheryl :confused:

Standard Deviation [ 3 Answers ]

The question reads, What is the standard deviation for the sample data below: 154,216,171,188,229,203,184,173,181,147 Round the answer to the nearest tenth. I have done this several times but my answer keeps coming up wrong. Can anyone explain this to me>?

View more questions Search