Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kyla_14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Average speed
    How can I answer this?
    This is d probLem :
    U nOrmally drive on the freeway between San Diego and LOs angeles at an average speed of 105 km/h (65 miles/h) and the trip takes 2h and 20min. On Friday afternoon, however heavy trafficslows you down ang you drive the same distance at an average speed of only 70 km/h (43miles/h). How much lOnger dOes the trip take?

HOpe you can heLp me.. show the sOLution.. tnx..
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2009, 11:20 AM

Work out the distance by the formula

Then, with that distance, find the time taken to travel that distance with the new speed.

Compared the two values for time you have got, and Voilą! :)
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2009, 11:24 AM
    How can I answer this?
    This is the problem:
    One normally drives on the freeway between San Diego and Los Angeles at an average speed of 105 km/h (65 miles/h) and the trip takes 2h and 20min. On Friday afternoon, however, heavy traffic slows you down and you drive the same distance at an average speed of only 70 km/h (43miles/h). How much longer does the trip take?
    Distance = Rate x Time.

Rate is also known as the velocity or the speed.

1. SD to LA; Rate = 104 km/h; Time = 2.333 hours (2 1/3 hours). Solve for Distance.

2. SD to LA on Friday afternoon. Rate = 70 km/h. Distance is the same as in #1. Solve for Time.

Make sure your units are always the same. For example, if you used rate in km/h the distance will end up in km. If you then used the rate in mph your distance would have to be in miles and not kilometers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Average speed and average velocity [ 2 Answers ]

Every morning you jog around 250 meter track four times in 30 minutes. What is your average speed and average velocity?

Average speed [ 1 Answers ]

A man wants to travel 3 miles at an average speed of 60 miles per hour. He has already trvelled half the distance at 30 mph. at what speed does the man need to travel to reach an average speed 0f 60 mph over the next half of his journey. My friends say he cant. My theory is over the 2nd half he...

Average speed/average velocity [ 1 Answers ]

A horse canters away from its trainer in a straight line, moving 150 m away in 19.0 s. It then turns abruptly and gallops halfway back in 4.6 s. (a) Calculate its average speed. m/s (b) Calculate its average velocity for the entire trip, using "away from the trainer" as the positive...

Average speed [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everybody. I'm have some trouble with the speed= distance/time. I think It's because it minutes, seconds and fractionsof a second, rather than hours and minutes. 2.8km takes 78.73seconds(1.18.73 ) what is the average speed?

Average Speed [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find average speed?

View more questions Search