Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kari1981 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 07:50 AM
    Combinatorics in Choosing a Committee
    The student council wants to form a committee of 3 people to order pizzas for their next meeting. There are 20 members on the student council, 7 of which are vegetarians.

How many different pizza committees can be formed if there must be at least 1 vegetarian and 1 non-vegetarian on the committee?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 09:25 AM
    I assume that means at least one vegetarian and at least one non-vegetarian?

Suppose we choose 1 vegetarian, then the other two must be non-vegetarian.

C(7,1)C(13,2)=546

2 vegetarians and 1 non-vegetarian:

C(7,2)C(13,1)=273

Add them up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Social Committee plans [ 7 Answers ]

Please forgive me if this is not the right place for this question. I will be the Social Committee Chair this year. Does anyone have any ideas for Christmas Socials, EOY Socials, secret pal, anything at all to make this year special? In the past, we have done our Chrismas Social at the...

DNC Host Committee Gets Tax-Free Gas In Colorado? [ 10 Answers ]

Are Colorado taxpayers footing the bill for the DNC host committee? Should they? What do you think of this? Remember, there are reports that the DNC and Obama's supporters are trying to take Hillary's delegates away. Now with High Gas Prices nationwide for everyone, they also want a FREE RIDE in...

Letter to committee on keeping a pet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a condo in Florida that does not permit pets. My wife & I are in our 70's and we adopted a mini-poodle(under 10 lbs) that has become a calming influence upon my wife and I. We want to take the dog with us when we go to Florida. I am looking for the proper content of a letter for my...

Architectural Control Committee [ 2 Answers ]

We are planning to build in a restricted community in Texas. We have submitted and amended home plans to the Architectural Control Committee (ACC) which is separate and apart from the HOA. This ACC is composed of the developer and a retired builder who owns the lot next to ours (who has a somewhat...

View more questions Search