Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robo35 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 10:18 AM
    Solutions and stirring
    How does stirring affect the rate at which a solute dissolves in a solvent?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 12:18 PM

This really should be pretty obvious.

If you place a solute in a solvent, the region of the solvent around the solute will have a higher concentration of the solute than elsewhere in solution. There is almost always a tendency to re-deposit crystals of the solute. Stirring the mixture disperses the dissolved material and lowers the concentration of dissolved solute next to the undissolved solute. Thus, there is an increased tendency for the solute to dissolve.

Think of putting salt in water. You can actually see the salt dissolving. If you stir, the water distributes the dissolved salt away from the salt crystals. Thus, there is less tendency to redeposit salt crystals and greater tendency to dissolve the existing salt crystals. Thus, it speeds up the dissolution of the salt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Don't look to the G20 for solutions [ 6 Answers ]

The finance ministers of the "rich countries" are meeting is an Eglish resort to hash out the ground work for their April 2 meeting... where they will try to solve the financial problems of the world in a single day . Indications are from initial impression that it could be a fiasco. ...

Concentration of new solutions [ 1 Answers ]

Using a pipet, 10 mL of a 0.1005 M HCl solution was paced in a 50 mL volumetric flask and the flask was filled to the mark with water. What is the concentration of the new solution?

Is she stirring up trouble? [ 2 Answers ]

A couple of weeks ago me and my BF of 9months split up. I posted it on here, some of you may remember. We were separated for two weeks. (Wow, ages lol.) He randomly sent me a text and we got kind of talking again. Now we are seeing each other. Taking things slow so we don't get sick of each...

Ppm solutions [ 0 Answers ]

What is the procedure to prepare ppm solutions?

Solutions [ 2 Answers ]

How would you prepare 1.00L of sodium carbonate from pure solid?

View more questions Search