Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigD Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2006, 10:02 PM
    Average speed
    Students make the trip to Los Angeles at an average speed of 40mph and the trip back at an average speed of 60 mph. Find their average speed for the entire trip. (It's Not 50 mph)

Please help me answer this question and if possible, can u show the steps of solving it. Thank You so much.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Aug 23, 2006, 12:31 AM
    I think that I am missing something here!
    If the answer is not 50, then there must be other factors to give a different answer.

From your question, the distance and time is irrelevant. It is a simple matter of adding the two average speeds and dividing by 2, which gives an answer of 50.?
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 23, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Just enter any random distance for the trip; say 200 miles. One way at 40 mph avg = 5 hours. On the return trip at 60 mph avg = 3.333 hours. Total round trip of 400 miles took 8.333 hours. 400/8.333 = 48mph avg.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2006, 11:17 AM
    dr d is correct.

the assumption that is wrong with adding 40 + 60 / 2 is that you are driving a fixed distance (point A to LA and then back), not a fixed time (one hour there and the same time back). Does it make sense that you are going to be driving longer at 40 mph than on the way home?

so since the average speed is the overall distance divided by time, you need to figure out how long you would be in the car both ways. Dr d's example works.

just to give another ex, if your distance was 500 miles to LA, you'd drive 40 mph, which gives 500miles * (1/40 mph) = 12.5 hours to go 500 miles.

then if you drive the same 500 miles back at 60mph you'd get 500 miles * (1/60mph) = 8.33 hours to go 500 miles.

so 1000 miles / (12.5+8.3 hours) = 1000/20.8 = 48.1 miles per hour.

I'm guessing this is for a physics class you are taking. The hardest part of this problem is realizing you needed to simply start with a theoretical distance and use the speed to come up with time.
    BigD Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 12:49 PM
    Thank You every body for helping. I just realizes how easy it is if u think it through more carefully. Thanks again:D
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Aug 24, 2006, 12:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    Thank You every body for helping. I just realizes how easy it is if u think it through more carefully. Thanx again:D

Yes, thanks folks! Makes sense your way.
    lilybean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2009, 01:19 PM
    I drive to L.A. at 40 mph and back from L.A. at 60 mph. What's my average speed?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2009, 09:01 PM

lilybean, you should've posted in another thread, one that you have created by clicking on 'Ask about Math and Sciences'

Anyway, if you've read the previous posts, you'll find out the answer. It's already been told.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed

Grading and gradepoint average [ 3 Answers ]

My question regard the calculation of grade point average in case of an F grade. Are the units or credit hours of the course with F grade included in the calculation of the grade point average. Now when the F grade is removed by retaking the course (asume B grade was earned in the repetition) what...

Average Lifespan [ 11 Answers ]

What is the average lifespan of a human? What is the average lifespan of an American? I'm not talking about death by natural causes. I know those numbers. But I also know that the majority of people (including Americans) don't make it to 40. Does anyone know what the real average lifespan is?...

Grants for the average american [ 6 Answers ]

:( I was just wondering how to find out how to apply for grants for people who are just searching for grants for just about anything. I mean I get these emails all the time about grant searches but they all charge a fee just to apply. Now I realize that money just doesn't get thrown at you for...

View more questions Search