Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lostinphysics Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 01:56 PM
    magnitude and direction of the resultant
    I am in a high school physics course and NEED some help with this problem.

Four forces act on a hot-sir balloon,

Force upward= 5120N
    Force downward= 4050N
    Force westward= 1520N
    Force eastward= 950N

Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on the balloon.

I began to solve it but now I am stuck. This is how I started, did I do this right?

Net Force(Fnet)= EF
    EF=5120N+(-4050N)=1070N NORTH

Then,

EF=950N+(-1520N)=-570N EAST OR 570N West

I do not believe that this is the answer that it is asking for. Any help would be greatlly appreciated.

Thank You!
    -Lost in Physics
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 27, 2008, 08:10 AM

You're halfway there. But first, the problem as stated talks about forces upward and downward, but your answer translated that to forces north and south. I'll assume that north, south east, and west are the coordinates you want to work in.

You have correctly determined how to combine the north-south (or up-down) forces into a single vector of 1070 N north and the east - west forces into a vector of 570N west. Now you need to combine these two force vectors into one resultant force vector, which you should be able to see will be in a direction somewhere between north and west. You can do this as follows:

1. Since the west and north forces are perendicular, use the Pythagoran theorem to determine the magnitide of the resultant force.

2. You can determine the direction of the resultant force by using the arctangent of the north force divided by the west force. This wll tell you how many degrees north of west the resultant force vector is pointing.

Hope this helps. Post back with your final answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Finding the Magnitude and Direction of Force one with the Resultant Given [ 14 Answers ]

Determine the magnitude and direction theata of F1 so that the resultant force is directed vertically upward and has a magnitude of 800N. 9925 I have difficulty of where to start the problem? Do I sum up the forces of the x axis with unknowns in it and forces of the y axis with the unknown...

Resultant vector of 3 forces [ 2 Answers ]

Find the resultant vector of this problem. A 15 N force pulls at 15 degrees. A 20 N force pulls at 95 degrees and a 30 N force pulls at 270 degrees.

Resultant vector angle [ 2 Answers ]

what should be the angle between 2 forces of magnitude 1 N and 13 N so that the resultant is 6*(5)^1/2 N. find the angle between the resultant and 1 N force.

View more questions Search