Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XM8 Posts: 213, Reputation: 14

Mar 30, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Calculations (cos)
    Hi,

I'm having a spot of trouble.

I'm trying to do an exercise (cus I have a maths test tomorrow) and I can't figure this out.

A = cos (PI/3) - cos(2 PI/3) - cos (4 PI/3) + cos (5 PI/3) = 2

Why would that equal two? And what am I supposed to be subtracting and adding here? Value such as cos (pi/3) : 1/2 ?

Please help thanks

-Xm8
    cdedmundson Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 12:35 PM

you have the right idea. Cosine is a periodic function so it fluctuates between 1 and -1. it has a period of 2pi, meaning it completes one cycle over a domain of 2pi. So at x=o cos(x)=1, and x=pi cos(x)=-1, and x=pi/3 cos(x)=1/2, just add the four values and they add up to 2
    (1/2)-(-1/2)-(-1/2)+(1/2)=2

Mar 30, 2009, 01:06 PM

Hey cdEdmundson,

Thank you for your answer. I understand perfectly what you're saying it's just that I have a small problem and it would be great if you could help me with this.

Ok I know that the cosine of 2pi/3 is -1/2 as you mentioned above, and that it measures 120 degrees.

I use a trick my teacher gave me to find the location of any value on the unit circle.

Let's say he were to give me 97pi/3. What I would do is
    96pi/3 + pi/3 = 32pi + pi/3 and I know that I would have to place the original value, 97pi/3 on the location of pi/3.

However, how would I decompose, or simplify 2pi/3 or 4pi/3 or even 3pi/3 ?

Thanks a lot,

-Xm8
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XM8 View Post
    I know that the cosine of 2pi/3 is -1/2 as you mentioned above, and that it measures 120 degrees.

I use a trick my teacher gave me to find the location of any value on the unit circle.

Let's say he were to give me 97pi/3. What I would do is
    96pi/3 + pi/3 = 32pi + pi/3 and I know that I would have to place the original value, 97pi/3 on the location of pi/3.

However, how would I decompose, or simplify 2pi/3 or 4pi/3 or even 3pi/3 ?
    I subtract 2pi from every value, and repeat until I obtain a number less than 2pi. I then realize that pi radians is 180 degrees. 2pi/3 is simply

4pi/3 =

3pi/3 =

Mar 30, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Thanks Edmundson,

I know how to do that with small values it's just that if I get a big number I can't do the mulitply by 2pi thing because a) I won't have the time to figure it out b) I won't have a calculator and c) The result will be too big

That's why I try to figure out that rule my teacher gave me because there's always some kind of trick to it.. Hmm... I just don't get it.

Do you know of any other tricks?

Thanks,

-Xm8

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Titration Calculations - just need someone to look over my calculations [ 1 Answers ]

25cm3 of a commercial bleach NAOCl is diluted to 250 cm3 . A 25 cm3 of the diluted solution is added to an excess of potassium iodide solution and titrated against 0.200 M sodium thiosulphate solution. The volume used was 18.5 cm3. What I s the concentration of sodium chlorate in the bleach in mol...

About TVM Calculations [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a time recently when you could have (or did) use a TVM calculation to make a decision? What was the decision and how could (or did) the calculation have helped you make a more informed decision? I am not really clear on what TVM calculations are used for. Thanks for any help

Npv,pi, and irr calculations [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering a major expansion of a product line hand and have estimated the following free cash flows associated with such an expansion. The initial outlay associated with the expansion would be $1,950,000, and the project would generate from cash flows of $450,000 per year for six years. The...

GST calculations [ 5 Answers ]

I wanted to know how you take a total that already includes 6% gst and find out exactly how much gst was paid? Example: 45.00 includes 6% Gst-how much of the $45.00 is actually GST?:confused: Please show calculation. Thanks!

View more questions Search