Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CreativeNotHandy Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Ceiling Fan Wobble After Towel Thrown At It
    Taz, my kid, threw a towel at his ceiling fan.
    The fan has a ball-and-socket sort of fixture near the ceiling mount.
    It still spins fine but it wobbles now significantly and makes several noises.
    I can't see anything that looks bent on the blades or otherwise.
    I'd thought maybe the fan just shifted on the ball joint but moving it around to various positions hasn't helped.
    Any suggestions? I mean, besides snapping the boy in the butt with his towel?:p
    Thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Sounds like out of balance problem. Even though you may get all blades same distance from ground. What happens usually is, Blade is struck and now closer to blade behind it ,
    Than the blade in front of it. 4 Blades are easier to bend back square, and directly opposite
    Opposing blade.
    With 5 blades, Measure tip to tip. 3 Measurements should be accurate, one will be long and one will be short.
    Blade that is between these 2 needs to be equalled.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Check this link here:

Ceiling fan blade balancing issues - Ceiling Fans N More
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 05:46 AM
    If links or info provide by ceilingfanrepair or myself don't work.
    Home Depot sells universal breckets. Worst case may also have to buy blades because
    Of attachment. They are universal and so far, have fit all fans I tried. Bring blade with you.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 12:47 PM
    That's good work that you got it fixed. Balancing can be tricky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling fan: fan speed pull chain [ 2 Answers ]

The pull chain controlling the fan speed snapped off inside the unit. How much disassembly is required to replace it?

Installed Ceiling Fan: Fan Works/Lights Quit Working [ 3 Answers ]

I successfully installed a Hampton ceiling fan about three maybe four years ago and it has worked just fine up until about 4 months ago when the lights would start going off and then sometimes come back on intermittently. Suspecting a loose connection, I removed the light housing and found that...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

Will Fan Fall? And Wobble... [ 5 Answers ]

FINALLY finished installing a ceiling fan today (long story) and wanted to know if it could fall down. I accidentally over tightened the setscrew on the hanger ball while attaching it to the downrod and the screw head broke off. There was about 1/16 in. thread left on the piece I broke off and...

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

View more questions Search