Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

May 4, 2007, 11:09 AM
    She Is In Danger.
    I have a 9 year old little sister that's been abused in different ways.

First off her mother (my step mother) had a misscarrage about a year ago. This is something that terrifies my little sister. She will NOT let her mother go and to clubs, bars, etc. because she's scared her mother will get pregnant again. She calls me crying in the middle of the night because she had a nightmare about it.

Another thing, her mother has a boyfriend now. Which is tearing her apart because she never gets to spend time with her mother because her mother either drops her off at my house for days sometimes even weeks or she will leave her ALONE in her own house for days if I cannot watch her. She's 9 years old!

I also found out that her mother's boyfriend is a child molester and has charges agiasnt him. I've noticed little things about the way she reacts when he is around her. I'm afriad he has done something to her because of her actions. It scares the hell out of me because I know I can't do anything.

Last night she went to my boyfriends house (who lives a block or two away) and he called me saying she was bleeding and her neck was bruised and red. I ran over there and her mother had beat her up.

She has stomach olsers now because of the stress in her own home. I fear things will get worse. I just don't know what to do about it. Is there even anything I can do about it? I'm trying to convince my father to take her in. He said he's going to but he's taking his sweet time. I'm afriad time is running out for her.

If you have any advise at all, please help.

Thank you.

May 4, 2007, 11:26 AM
    One other thing I forgot! Is there any legall way to take care of this? And quick? By this I mean, can I get her out of her abusive house right away? Or will it take months or leagall actions?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 4, 2007, 12:22 PM
    You need to call Child Protective Services yesterday. She needs to be removed from that house IMMEDIATELY!!

When you saw the bruises and the blood, you should have called the police.

I know, would have, should have, could have, but now you know. Get on the horn and get her out of that house.
    Expert

May 4, 2007, 12:23 PM
    P.S. I have moved your post to the Family Law category where it seems more appropriate.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

May 4, 2007, 12:35 PM
    I am not a legal expert, and laws differ from place to place. What I would do if in that situation is keep your sister with you and call the police about the wounds and the boyfriend, call social services and apply for custody of her yourself. You can often get emergency short term custody orders, but again this all depends where you live.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Call the police, call child protective services or department of family services ( they have differnet names in different states)
    xxAngskixx Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

May 7, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockabilly1955mama
    I have a 9 year old little sister thats been abused in different ways.

First off her mother (my step mother) had a misscarrage about a year ago. This is something that terrifies my little sister. She will NOT let her mother go and to clubs, bars, ect. because shes scared her mother will get pregnant agian. She calls me crying in the middle of the night because she had a nightmare about it.

Another thing, her mother has a boyfriend now. Which is tearing her apart becuase she never gets to spend time with her mother becuase her mother either drops her off at my house for days sometimes even weeks or she will leave her ALONE in her own house for days if I cannot watch her. She's 9 years old!!

I also found out that her mother's boyfriend is a child molester and has charges agiasnt him. I've noticed little things about the way she reacts when he is around her. I'm afriad he has done something to her becuase of her actions. It scares the hell out of me becuase I know I can't do anything.

Last night she went to my boyfriends house (who lives a block or two away) and he called me saying she was bleeding and her neck was bruised and red. I ran over there and her mother had beat her up.

She has stomach olsers now becuase of the stress in her own home. I fear things will get worse. I just don't know what to do about it. Is there even anything I can do about it? I'm trying to convince my father to take her in. He said he's going to but he's taking his sweet time. I'm afriad time is running out for her.

If you have any advise at all, please help.

Thank you.
    GET HER OUT OF THAT HOUSE! Social services or whatever the police! If you don't do anything what does her future hold for her recurring nightmares? Depression? Suicide? That's if the abuse doesn't get worse and she ends up dead the next day... These are harsh word but if you can't do anything about it tell someone who WILL do something about it! My sister had ONE abusive experience and it haunts her till this very day (it happened when she was 3!! )
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 7, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Yep, you need to call in the professionals, meaning your state's protective services. What is wrong with your dad that he isn't stepping in, isn't this his daughter too?

May 7, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyB
    Yep, you need to call in the professionals, meaning your state's protrective services. What is wrong with your dad that he isn't stepping in, isn't this his daughter too?

He's afriad. I don't know why. It's his daughter! He makes no since to me at times. He's afriad of my step mothers boyfriend. Which is not an excuse of any kind. He's afriad he will beat him up. For his daughters sake, getting his butt kick comes no where near my little sister being molested or abused and any other possible that will come while living in that house.
    Expert

May 7, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Honey, what have you done to protect your sister since we last heard from you?

May 7, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Over the weekend I kept her. Her step mother is threating to call the police and file a report of kipnapping.

I've contacted the Child Services department. I've sent them pictures of her wounds and they're getting her out of there as soon as possible. For now, I'm keeping her. No matter what her step mother throws at me.

Is that even possible for me to get charged with kidnapping?

Because it's not kidnapping if it's for her own safety. Am I right?
    Expert

May 7, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Have you called the police? What did CPS say? Did you let CPS know that she would be staying with you during the investigation?

The "officials" should know that you have her BEFORE the mother tries to file any charges.

May 7, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Yes, I have called the police. They went with her back to her house so she could get all of her belongings and they are keeping an eye out for my house. I guess just in case something goes wrong, after all, the boyfriend is crazy. The CPS said they should get her out of her house sometime today or tomorrow. And my father isn't doing a damn thing so I'm going to try and get custody of her. The CPS now know that she is staying with me until everything is official.
    I DO know that she will not be returning home and she will have a restraining order against her step-mothers boyfriend.

Which is good. She doesn't need any interactions with that creep.
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

May 7, 2007, 11:26 AM
    You did a very noble thing and for that I wanted to say thank you for being someone who stepped up and did something to help a child. Too many people look the other way! Muah to you!
    Expert

May 7, 2007, 12:35 PM
    I have to totally agree with Kanicky! You did something many people are too afraid to do. My hat is off to you for stepping up to the plate and looking out for the wellbeing of your sister.

As for the kidnapping charges, if CPS as well as the police know that she is staying with you, there is little that your step-mother can do. She is just trying to scare you and you sound a little to strong for that scare tactic to work.

I applaud your strength and dedication to this young soul, you are a good woman!!

May 8, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kanicky73
    You did a very noble thing and for that I wanted to say thank you for being someone who stepped up and did something to help a child. Too many people look the other way!! Muah to you!!
    Aw thank you. That really means a lot and makes me feel better about what I'm doing. It's just been hell these past few weeks.
    Expert

May 8, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Hun, it has been hell, but be prepared, you ain't experienced nuttin yet!! But be assured you are doing the right thing by this innocent young girl. She needs someone like you to look up to and admire.

May 8, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    I have to totally agree with Kanicky!! You did something many people are too afraid to do. My hat is off to you for stepping up to the plate and looking out for the wellbeing of your sister.

As for the kidnapping charges, if CPS as well as the police know that she is staying with you, there is little that your step-mother can do. She is just trying to scare you and you sound a little to strong for that scare tactic to work.

I applaud your strength and dedication to this young soul, you are a good woman!!!

This gave me a lot of strength. I thank you for leading me in the right direction. As of today, I have full coustudy of her. And I really cannot be any happier.
    And the whole kiddnapping thing. She was just trying to scare me so I would back down. But I didn't work! ;) There will be no charges filed against me, but plenty will be headed her way.

I just don't get how sick a person could be to treat a child that way. Her own child at that.
    momtofour Posts: 48, Reputation: 16

May 8, 2007, 04:57 PM
    You should be so proud of yourself. I don't know how old you are but I am sure that this was extremely difficult for you to step into a potentially dangerous situation to ensure the safety of your sister. It takes a lot of courage to see something like that happening and intervene, you did the RIGHT Things and my hat goes off to you!
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

May 9, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Congrats!! momtofour said it best, you should be very proud! And your little sister should be thankful to have such a wonderful sister!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I think my step children are in danger [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Oklahoma. My husband and his ex wife have joint custody of their two children 3 and 6 years old. The children are starting to have bruises on their backs and bottoms. The 6 year old says that she doesn't know where she got them from but my husband and I suspect the mother is taking her...

In danger [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a single mom of a set of twins, their dad went to jail 5mos after they were born on robbery and crack cocaine charges. Bob has been in and out of jail and on crack since he was sixteen he is now thirty-six. After four years in prison he was release this April. Bob is now coming to my home...

Danger? [ 1 Answers ]

?? Hello to all and thanks in advance for any help you might have to offer. My name is Angela, 11/5/74, and I need to know if the bad feeling I keep getting is related to someone who could possibly be dangerous, or something else. I just can't seem to pinpoint what is wrong, though I can sense...

View more questions Search