Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darlene1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Disrespectful teenager
    My son is 16 years old. He constantly argues about everything. He says things that are just mean. I don't know what else to do. He was cussing and pushing me when he lost his temper. I had him put in juvenile detention overnight. He was put on six months probation and started seeing a counselor. He seemed to be turning everything around. His grades went up. His attitude changed and he was not as angry. Then, his father started seeing him again and at first things were going OK. Until, they got tired of him being around again which took about 3-4 visits and they began to pick him up late and bringing him home early. Now, he has fallen back into his smart attitude. He got in trouble in school for cussing and now he has to go to alternative school. His father lives 4 miles from that school and want even pick him up. His fathers wife don't work and won't pick him up. So, I have to leave early from work and take a chance on losing my job. I am lost I don't know what else to do. How can I teach my son responsibility and respect. It seems nothing I do is right.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 06:44 PM
    You son probably feels as bad as you feel but for entirely different reasons. He sounds like he's miserable and unwanted by his dad. I would encourage him to go back to the counselor for many weekly visits. Teenagers in general go through some very difficult times even if the family is intact. Try to love him and feel his pain even when he is most angry.
    cissy0801 Posts: 129, Reputation: 6

Mar 30, 2007, 06:46 PM
    :D wow!

That is hard to cope with

I have to say you should try sitting down and chat with him to see what is going on cause he might have some problem and you do not know what it is.

And also I think the step mother is so mean...

U should also confront her that and take your son with u
    Cause I think the father and the step mother is not looking after him properly and I think you should take the responsibilities

Also try to tell your boss your situation and maybe that might help

Al the best!!

Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
    Parajr Posts: 149, Reputation: 21

Mar 30, 2007, 06:51 PM
    This is one that I take to heart because I am a teacher at an alternative school. I'm not a psychologist, but I'm sure that they would connect his behavior to his father's rejection. In my opinion the juvenile dentention only makes the problme worse. Children are only hardend there. If you could afford a private counselor do it. Get him involved in sports, boxing, football. Show him that there are many opportunities in this world, but instill into him that he has to behave to be successful. He needs a positive role model. Someone that he can look up to and respect. I was a troubled youth. I found out later in life that the older male that I looked up to was being directed by my father who I thought was too old to understand me. At 16 kids don't fully understand the most important things about life. They live in the moment. Their views are twisted. Find someone or something that he will respect and use it to control him. He is not going to listen to you at this point. If what he respects convinces him that listening to you is good then he will do it. It is sad but it is true. Im 28, and have been teaching for 5 years working with youth for ten years. I know this will work I have seen it work hundreds of times. Please rate, and let me know how it turns out I wish you all the luck in the world
    herringelizabeth Posts: 17, Reputation: -5

Mar 30, 2007, 06:57 PM
    He's probably going through stress or difficulties with a girlfriend or something. Does he come home late?

Cause he could be doing stuff that you don't know about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teenage Son is Very Disrespectful [ 5 Answers ]

My ex and I have been divorced for about 10 years and have a 14 year old son. We have shared custody and my son has been living week on week off. This summer, our son got into some trouble with drugs and the wrong crowd. In the fall, the bad behaviour continued and his grades dropped. Although,...

Disrespectful Neighbors... [ 9 Answers ]

Living in CT, what are laws pertaining to neighbors, that play loud music all day long, and musical instruments all hours of the night, to the point where we can't hear the T.V. and the floor is vibrating. This has been a feud since he moved in. Cops were involved before, but nothing came about. ...

My 22yr old daughter is SO disrespectful! [ 23 Answers ]

I have a 22yr old daughter that lives with me and my husband and our children (younger sisters) and has been for 3 months after leaving an abusive relationship. She has 2 daughters 1yr & 4yr living with us also.. they are wonderful! My daughter is such a unhappy, ungratefull crabby... She has...

12 year old stepson VERY disrespectful [ 7 Answers ]

I am a step-father to a 12 year old that is very disrespectful. This child has been head strong since day one when I entered there lives five years ago. The father had not been involved in her life until I came into the picture. This child goes to her father every other weekend and two times a...

Disrespectful Step-Daughter [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend's daughter has never disrespected me, but she goes out of her way to make her father feel horrible. We have gone out of our way to make sure she knows she is welcome to do anything we are doing, but the few times she agreed to go with us she either talked on her cell phone or texted...

View more questions Search