Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dgirl630 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Filing for divorce in a different state from Marriage
    I live in Rhode Island and have been separated (not legally)from my husband that lives in NYS for more than three years. We were married in NYS.

I left NYS to take a job with both of us in agreement that he would join me. He has not made any attempt to do this and I feel that it is abandonment.

Can I file in Rhode Island for divorce on grounds of abandonment if he still lives in NYS?

Thanks for any help,
    Them
    my2229 Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2007, 12:06 PM
    I would think so.. I do know you don't have to file for a divorce in which you were married this is done in the state you hold residence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Want to divorce - and found out she was divorced from last marriage AFTER we were marri [ 6 Answers ]

OK I am married to a woman for 9 years now we have one child I we have not been "together "for 3+ years now and we want to divorce I found out recently from her ex husband - she was married before - that they were legally divorced 4 years after we were married - we married in 1996 she got a divorce...

Complicated state tax filing between NY and NJ and missed filing from last year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am really confused and would appreciate some feedback into how I should proceed with my taxes. My background: I am a non-resident alien, Canadian citizen who is a masters student studying and residing in NJ. During 2006, I worked on campus for a few months and receieved a W2 for...

Divorce 2 years after marriage - French citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

My French husband and I (I am American) are considering getting a divorce. February 2006 will make 2 years since we got married, we have been living and working in Florida. I never applied for European working papers but am considering moving to Europe at this point. Does anyone know how long...

View more questions Search