Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roncole Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 06:20 AM
    Adopting a step daughter
    My step daughter's Father is now dead and she would like me to adopt her so that she can genuinely feel part of our family. I would also like this to happen but what is involved in the legal process and how long does this take.
    Also is there a large cost involved?
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 6, 2007, 06:22 AM
    You need to see a sloicitor/lega advisor, but as there is no need to get the biologicl afather to agree, it shouldn't take too long. My partner adopted 2 of his ex wife's children after their biological fathers were off the scene, 1 had left and 1 had died. It was much easier for him to adopt the one whose father had died, only took a couple of months.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Just go down to your local Family Court and ask what is necessary. As long as you have a copy of the bio father's death certificate, you should be able to do this without an atty.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2007, 07:51 AM
    ScottGem is right. Where I live, there isn't a family court and this kind of stuff is handled through the town and county. Call your local village, town, city, county (whichever applies in your area) clerk's office ahead of time and find out where you can pick up the forms and where you need to file them if their isn't a family court close by. They can give you all the info you need to be able to complete this properly. If they can't, they can direct you to the appropriate office that can. Shouldn't be a huge expense.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2007, 06:28 PM
    If the birth father is deceased, then it should be a very routine and inexpensive process. Simply have a lawyer draw up the adoption agreement, submit it to family court along with proof of the birth father's demise (i.e. death certificate) and it's signed, sealed and delivered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend Adopting My Daughter [ 2 Answers ]

My Daughter is 3 months old next saturday and I want to know if my Boy-friend can adopt her. Her bio father has never seen her and has never been in her life since she was in my belly. I want him to adopt her so that she has a father that loves her and doesn't use drugs or sell drugs either.

Disrespectful Step-Daughter [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend's daughter has never disrespected me, but she goes out of her way to make her father feel horrible. We have gone out of our way to make sure she knows she is welcome to do anything we are doing, but the few times she agreed to go with us she either talked on her cell phone or texted...

Get to know (sort of) Step Daughter? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I dated for about a year when he asked me to move in with him. Our relationship was complicated because it began before the relationship with his ex was officially over. It was further complicated by the fact that I have dual custody of my 3 year old daughter and he has dual...

Adopting 23 year old step daughter [ 3 Answers ]

Can my partner adopt my 23 year old daughter as this is her wish, she has no relationship with her birth father any more my partner and I have lived together with my daughter for 10 years, please help :confused:

Adopting step children [ 3 Answers ]

I really need help with this one. My children's egg donor has not been around in 2 years or paid child support. Where or how would I start on seeing about adopting them.

View more questions Search