Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melsmom709 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Get to know (sort of) Step Daughter?
    My boyfriend and I dated for about a year when he asked me to move in with him. Our relationship was complicated because it began before the relationship with his ex was officially over. It was further complicated by the fact that I have dual custody of my 3 year old daughter and he has dual custody of his 16 year old daughter.

The two girls get along as well as a toddler and teenager can. On-the-other-hand she and I barely have a relationship at all. With her being old enough to understand what happened between her mother and father, complicated by the fact that she and her mother have always had more of a "best friends" relationship than that of a mother & daughter - they are incredibly close, on top of the fact that she is a normal emotionally unstable teenage girl, she and I being together has always been awkward. She's always been polite, but for the most part we avoid each other. Another problem is the fact that I am by nature very, very shy.

She seems like a cool kid, that I would like to get to know and have more of a relationship with than I do, but I'm not sure how to go about it or if I should even try? Any advice?
    pluckyflamingo Posts: 220, Reputation: 17

Jan 3, 2007, 12:33 PM
    I was in the same situation, only flipped it was my step father and I. With due time we were able to have a great relationship, however you can't rush it. Little by little go on on trips maybe to the movies, shopping, or just depending what type of person she is something like hiking, etc. Don't worry about being shy because overall she is feeling the same way. Just be brave and go do something with her just the two of you. That way you have an opportunity to just carry on a conversation with her. Little by little the awkardness drifts away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Evict 19 Year Old Step Daughter From Home [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Georgia with my husband and his two grown children (ages 22 and 19) for the last 10 years. The 19 year old is into drugs and drinking and is constantly laying out of work (if she even has a job) and bringing her drug friends into our home when we are not there. There is evidence she...

Adopting 23 year old step daughter [ 3 Answers ]

Can my partner adopt my 23 year old daughter as this is her wish, she has no relationship with her birth father any more my partner and I have lived together with my daughter for 10 years, please help :confused:

Sort Files System [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to have a tool that can sort all the different types of data in a file system. For example: Filesytem1 1 year old 3 years old Powerpoint 10% 50% Microsoft Word.. . Excel.. . ...

Future Step-daughter Insists on Bringing 2yr old [ 10 Answers ]

I would really like people's opinion on this... I am getting married soon to a man with a 2 yr. old grandson. We are not inviting children to the wedding, which will be in th evening & held in a historic home. My fiancé called his daughter, who must travel from out of town, to discuss our...

How to sort it?Please help! [ 1 Answers ]

ok heres the low down,im 14 btw just get to know me a bit he he.. been going out with my gf (charlotte) for 8 months now i really really love her might think its puppy love but she kinda my first ...not going to go into detal about what we do. :D we wernt excaclly m8 befour we went out coz we...

View more questions Search