Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sconn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 05:07 PM
    My husband isn't attracted to me.
    I have been with my husband for four years, but we haven't even been married a month yet. My issue is that he acts like I am one of his buddies or a sister. He jokes all the time, but it is always something kind of mean. We have great conversations and he will peck me on the lips, hold my hand and hug me back when I hug him, but he doesn't initiate any of that. I don't get passionate make-out sessions or even make-out sessions that aren't passionate. When we have sex it is with no foreplay and he acts like he is almost bored. I have tried to make things more interesting, but got no reaction. When I try to cuddle with him or initiate sex (which isn't often anymore because my self-esteem is shot) he says I'm clingy. I once told him that I NEED an occasional compliment or a hug or kiss or ANY sign of affection just every now and then, not even every day. His response was to ask me how much I liked sushi and I said I love sushi. He said "would you still love it as much if you ate it everyday", I said probably not and he said "me either". I am so hurt. I'm not unattractive or clingy. I don't even need as much attention as most people. I just need SOMETHING every now and then to let me know he wants me. I feel like he doesn't want me at all and I don't know what to do. We were JUST married and I think it was a mistake. I feel like I'm wasting my life with someone, who for one reason or another, isn't attracted to me at all. We're both in our twenties. I don't know what to do!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2010, 05:11 PM

Bear with me. I have a reason for asking these questions.

Has he ever participated in sports at school?

What is his biggest interest?

How is your social life with him?

Does he avoid making eye contact with people?
    sconn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    He played football, basketball and church league softball. His biggest interests are video games, Ultimate Fighting, Wrestling (on TV), and lately metal detecting. Our social life is great. He has no problem making eye contact, he is very social.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 27, 2010, 12:55 AM
    While you have been married only a month, you have been together for four years, and I have to ask you, was he the same before you married him? It is hard to believe that he suddenly changed just a month ago when you got married. And, the fact that you are now married would not be a cause of his lack o interest in the romance department.

Are there any substance problems, alcohol or otherwise?

You say he can 'perform', but that he does not meet your needs as far as foreplay or other physical contact, such as hugging. Is it possible that he is just unaware of what you need and want? Have you actually talked to him about this?

It is one thing to specifically communicate about sexual needs and wants, and another to expect a partner to just know, even if you are making it obvious.

If your relationship is otherwise strong and committed, and I presume it is if you've been together for over four years now, and recently married, and this is or has been a continuous problem, my guess is that he does not understand what you are trying to 'show' him. He understands that you are unhappy with a lack of affection for example, but he does not maybe understand why, or translate that into something important enough that he needs to improve himself. Even in simple ways. Hugging is not brain surgery.

He needs to take you seriously, and you need to find a way to be heard. A marriage is a long time to go with feeling underappreciated, and a long time to go with not having basic needs met.

I don't think you would be unreasonable to seek counselling with him if he's not taking you seriously, and is unwilling to try to understand, even enough to make small changes. To let this fester, will only bring resentment, loss of self esteem, and leave you feeling frustrated and lonely. Not a great place to be for anyone.
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Oct 27, 2010, 04:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sconn View Post
    I once told him that I NEED an occasional compliment or a hug or kiss or ANY sign of affection just every now and then, not even every day. His response was to ask me how much I liked sushi and I said I love sushi. He said "would you still love it as much if you ate it everyday", I said probably not and he said "me either". I am so hurt.
    My heart goes out to you. I would have been devastated if my spouse said this to me. Based upon the limited information in your post, I don't know if he needs a wake up call or if you just need to get out of that marriage. Personally, I would have immediately told him either we get into counseling together or we divorce. His answer to that would tell me which direction I needed to take.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 10:01 AM

Since I seriously doubt he has changed so much in one month, I can only conclude you have put up with his antics, and behavior for quite some time. Stop letting him get away with it and stand up for yourself.

The more you allow bad treatment, the more you will get.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband isn't sexually attracted to me [ 23 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for only two months. I'm afraid that a problem that has always effected our relationship (but one that we've worked hard to correct) is going to be the cause of our divorce... You see... my husband has had erectile disfunction since the first time we attempted...

Not attracted to my husband [ 44 Answers ]

I am in a marriage in which I am not attracted to my husband. Although I have stuck it out for 7 years, I have hit my breaking point. I have talked to a counselor, friends, and family, and they agree it is best to leave. Although my husband is aware that I am not attracted to him, he is unaware...

My husband says he's not attracted to me. [ 5 Answers ]

My husband of 14 years has told me that he just doesn't feel the same and isn't attracted to me anymore. He says something has "clicked". He is now planning on moving out of our home to have some time by himself but still plans on making time to see our two young children as much as he can. I am...

Is my husband sexually attracted to me? [ 7 Answers ]

I know that my husband loves me a lot but lately I been concerned id he is sexually attracted to me. When we first got together we had sex for hours when we did have sex. Now after being married, he does it for like 5 minutes and he's done for the night. On occasion I try to get him excited so we...

View more questions Search