Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobonna Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 04:06 PM
    Will I get in trouble if I leave for vacation and don't tell my husband and child
    My friend has had a rough marriage. SHe has tried to change but her husband is old fashioned and from Elsalvador so while she has grown he has stayed the same. She adopted his son a few years ago making him legal. She is tired and has lost who she is as a person. She would like to write him a letter and state that she needs a break and go away for a little while. She would rather say to him personally that she needs time away but in a fight previously he stated to her that he would kill her if she ever tried something stupid like leave. He meant it. Very prideful man. And she doesn't want anything bad to happen to him or get him in trouble with the law. So no cops. She just wants to get a break but doesn't want to get in trouble for abandonment. What steps could she take to leave for a while and make him see that her worth is more than he sees. Can she file separation papers and not tell him till the last minute? Or does he have to sign them in advance. She wants a clean break for a month to clear her head and find herself again. I don't have the right answers and I don't want to make things worse? Please can someone steer me in the right direction?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 04:15 PM
    You are in the United States?

If so, rest assured that she can leave her husband if she wants to, without getting in trouble with the law. I find it incredible that you would even have to ask this; it's the 21st Century, not the Middle Ages.

It is possible that, should later litigation ensue over child custody, an argument could be made that she abandoned the child. But that is a domestic relations issue, not a criminal one.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 04:16 PM

Are all of you living in the U.S.

Jun 15, 2010, 04:26 PM
    Yes we live in Virginia. I heard from a neighbor that when she caught her husband in bed with another lady she left and didn't come home for three days. It was that or kill one of them. He called the cops and she got in big trouble for abandoment. She wasn't allowed to return to her home except to get her stuff and she lost rights to her child. No alimony(cant spell.lol) nothing. I think my friend will come back and realize the grass isn't greener or that she wants to try again and the worry is that he will have called the cops and she will have no way to fix this without spending ton of money on lawyers when all she wants is a break. I was looking for answers to prevent my friend from having to lose the right to see her son or come back. That's all. I know she can leave and not go to jail. She is worried about the abandoment thing. Which I don't even understand.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bobonna View Post
    ... I heard from a neighbor that when she caught her husband in bed with another lady she left and didnt come home for three days. It was that or kill one of them. He called the cops and she got in big trouble for abandoment. She wasnt allowed to return to her home except to get her stuff and she lost rights to her child. No alimony(cant spell.lol) nothing. ...

Don't believe everything you hear from your neighbor. Chances are she didn't tell you the whole story. Sounds like there was alleged domestic violence involved there.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 04:30 PM
    alimony(cant spell.lol)
    You spelled it correctly.

I don't see where three days or two weeks or a month away is going to help anything. Your friend needs to find a counselor and go by herself or bring her husband with her (or some of each). The only way to get this fixed is to get some help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 05:37 PM

She is not owned, she merely needs to tell her what she is going to do

Jun 15, 2010, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You spelled it correctly.

I don't see where three days or two weeks or a month away is going to help anything. Your friend needs to find a counselor and go by herself or bring her husband with her (or some of each). The only way to get this fixed is to get some help.
    Yeah I hear you. For three years she has tried to get him to go see someone but he says she chose this life so deal with it. He doesn't want to change. I know they will end up divorced and she is just stalling but that's not something I can change. Just want to offer advise on the situation that is going to happen and happen very soon. She will screw herself and her son is the one who will suffer. He may be adopted but she loves him. She just feels used and abused. Thanks to you all for you suggestions and advise. I think the only thing she can do is file for legal seperatio and just deal with the fighting as it comes. I guess that's what the police are for huh.lol

Jun 15, 2010, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    She is not owned, she merley needs to tell her what she is going to do
    Im glad you noticed that too. Thanks its okay I appreciate their efforts.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 06:19 PM
    Yeah I hear you. For three years she has tried to get him to go see someone but he says she chose this life so deal with it. He doesn't want to change.
    Then SHE should go for counseling, if for no other reason than to get this final step figured out right. She also needs to figure out herself. And as she changes, becomes calmer, more confident and self-assured, less angry, he will change too. That's the way it happens. I will put money on it.

Jun 17, 2010, 05:41 PM

I appreciate you guys and your replies but she's been there and done all that. Three yrs. I needed legal advise or someone who has been through it. Any who she told me she is going to talk to her sons lawyer. Thanks again and God Bless

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't want to father some other man's kid but I don't want to leave my girlfriend [ 24 Answers ]

Me and my girl have been dating for five weeks, and yesterday she found out that she is pregnant, I am 18 the father is 17 and she is 16, she can't have the kid, I can't be a father this soon I want to be one but just not now, she can't throw away her future, and the father no matter how bad this...

Don't want to leave.mother of my kids wants me to leave. [ 5 Answers ]

I love them all so much,but she says I have to go.if I stay around she gets angry and screams.im a good dad but my head and heart is all over the place,don't know what to do,she4 won't talk about it.

My lover wants me and I want him but how do I leave my husband I don't love no more [ 16 Answers ]

I so confused and I don't know what to do I'm married now for nearly 8 years but I'm not happy my husband has changed he lossed his sense of humour and just became so boring it's the same routine everyday and I'm just not happy in my marriage I now thing it was a mistake getting married. I'm in...

I want to leave my husband, but don't know how. [ 1 Answers ]

I am no longer "in love" with my husband. I had a certain respect for him as he is a good man and an okay father, but am just not in love with him. We have been married for about 2 1/2 years and I guess from about 6-8 months into our marriage I knew he wasn't for me. The first time I tried to leave...

View more questions Search