Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angie diaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 06:54 PM
    Marriage
    Can a U.S. citizen marry an illegal here in the states? If so what are the steps to take to get that person permission to stay illegally?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angie diaz
    Can a U.S. citizen marry an illegal here in the states? If so what are the steps to take to get that person permission to stay illegally?
    First, why do you want to marry someone who is here illegally? Second, you ask what steps you need to take to get that person permission to stay illegally... What reasons are there for this person to remain an illegal immigrant? That person is in the US, most likely enjoying the benefits. Does this person intend to move back to the country of origin? Why hasn't this person applied for a visa or work permit?

It sounds fishy to me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2006, 07:35 PM
    Hello, yes a person illegally here in the US can marry a us citizen, all you need to a valid ID to prove your identity and age.

But getting married does not give you a instant opportunity to become a citizen, you will still have to go back to your nation, apply for a visa and come back on a legal status and then apply for citizenship. It can take years even if married to a US citizen
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2006, 07:38 PM
    I assume you mean stay LEGALLY, why would someone want to stay illegally?

A person can marry a US citizen and gain citizenship. However, doing so just to get the illegal citizenship is a crime.
    michellemichelle Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2007, 06:03 AM
    I married an illegial... Then we started the immigration process.. VERY DIFFICULT!. But worth it if you plan on spending your life together... You can apply for a k3 visa which is a special visa for spouses... It is very important that you make sure you do everything correctly or it will come back to bite you in the ##@@**... Trust me... We've been dealing with this for 3 years... and still not done...
    hanaapeace Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 11:09 PM
    Angie,

Please take time to know this person really really well.You want to make sure that he is not just showering you with attention to use you so he can obtain immigration benefits.
    Someone tried to pull this on me .Luckily I found out after 3 months of marriage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my marriage last? [ 10 Answers ]

I have been married for 16 months but I don't trust my husband. I am 8 months pregnant and need to know before its too late for my baby if he is going to cheat and if we will last

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Will my marriage last? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my D.O.B is 12-17-1983 am getting married in 2 months I want to know if my marriage will last /will I have any children ?and how many ?and is my fiancé cheating on me?my email address is [email protected] Please Help!! :( :( :( :(

Marriage to be or not to be [ 5 Answers ]

My finacee (25) and I (24) have been together for over a year. We have one son together that is 8 months old, we currently do not live together. He has primary custody of his other 2 kids (a 5 year old and 3 year old). His ex wife is a raging witch and always a thorn in our sides. SHe uses the...

Marriage? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am 16 and my boyfriend is 21, we have been together for 1 year. He is Asian and has recently experienced certain difficulties that have led to the involvement of the immigration department. He may be deported. We both agree that the only way that he will be able to stay in or return to this...

View more questions Search