Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beachloverjohn Posts: 491, Reputation: 242

Aug 28, 2010, 10:38 AM

This sounds like more of your issue than hers. First of all, trust is everything in a marriage, and you need to trust her. She sounds like a very nice girl, and I'm sure she has enough sense to not give the wrong impression to guys. You can't be with her 24 hours a day, so you can't be worried about this all the time. Don't blame her for something that hasn't happened yest, because if you do, you could push her into doing things that will really make you jealous. Just remember, that you know that no matter how friendly she is, she goes home with you. You're the lucky one
    Allie602 Posts: 62, Reputation: 18

Aug 28, 2010, 10:30 PM

Clickus it sounds like you would benefit by finding out a bit more about the immigrant Chinese community and the common practices. She may be doing what is very common for people from China in a new country.

Can you get involved her culture maybe take a course in Chinese or volunteer to help new immigrants to read or settle in. Ask your wife for advice on how you can help. As her husband, I am certain Kevin would like to get to know him too. Why not call him for suggestions about language courses or Chinese cultural classes, or ways that you could volunteer in the Chinese community.

Do you and your wife have any activity in common. If not, find something you both enjoy doing. You mentioned being overweight and feeling uncomfortable about it. I'll bet you can work off a lot of nervous energy and lose weight by hitting the gym.

Try very hard to decrease surveillance of your wife and instead get to know her and her friends. Invite them over frequently for meals and go to their houses or out to events. The more you get to know her, her culture, language and friends the more shared history you will develop and feel more secure in the relationship.
    clickaus Posts: 102, Reputation: 8

Sep 7, 2010, 07:05 AM
    My wife wants to learn massage
    My wife keeps raising the subject about her interest in learning massage, that is traditional chinese massage. She went to see a friend who has a business offering the service of health therapy which I later found to be the kind where the client gets naked and has oils applied etc etc... I was not at all comfortable with this as firstly the clients were mostly male, my wife is asian and in the western world, sadly, when guys think of massage and asian they usually associate it with sex. I explained this to my wife, she was a little shocked and agreed that she would look for another career. All fine but as my wife currently cannot work while waiting for immigration visas she is very bored with nothing to do. So she keeps bringing up the topic of learning massage. She found another friend who seems to have a respectable business in a shopping mall offering a service of traditional chinese therapy and acupuncture and went to see her. Later my wife explained that this friend was willing to teach her if she wanted to. She asked my opinion. I still wasn't comfortable about the prospect of my wife having body contact with another guy. Traditional chinese massage usually involves just neck and shoulders. I have seen the place and it is all clinical like all open and frosted glass screens within a shopping mall, and most of the clients are female office workers. So again my wife has raised the subject and wants to look further into this. I have reluctantly agreed that she should look and evaluate for herself.. but I cannot come to grips with the prospect of her being paid my some guy to make them feel good, it just isn't making me feel comfortable and unsure how I can concentrate on my day when I know my wife is there... How do I handle this situation without appearing to control my wife.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 10:31 AM

By keeping your mouth shut and letting her do her thing. Would you rather she slop pigs or something?? Okay that last comment was uncalled for but you would probably freak out at anything she did outside the house, and I notice you had no suggestions either, when she asked your opinion.

Seems she is going to do it any way, so make the most of it, and volunteer to be her practice dummy... er... client.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    By keeping your mouth shut and letting her do her thing. Would you rather she slop pigs or something??? Okay that last comment was uncalled for but you would probably freak out at anything she did outside the house, and I notice you had no suggestions either, when she asked your opinion.

Seems she is going to do it any way, so make the most of it, and volunteer to be her practice dummy...........er..........client.
    Too late click.. you already control her. You "agreed" to allow her to look into this? What are you a Daddy or a husband? You aren't going to stop your controlling attitude. You better be glad you're not married to me. You would have been history a long time ago.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 11:30 AM
    Clickaus, do you see yourself as her boss or her partner? Do you see the two of you building a life together or do you see yourself building a life for her to live? Do you see the difference?

You know that what she wants to do has nothing to do with sex, but that is where your mind goes to when you think of what interests her. If she waited tables in a diner, would you think about her being on her feet, hot and tired all day long or the male customers who might smile and say more than 'more coffee'?

Think of it this way, what she wants to do helps people. You may be thinking in terms of sex, but there are people who need the relief that acupressure and massage can bring. People who suffer from headaches (even migraine suffers can get some relief), backaches, muscles that are so knotted up that it affects their nerves, etc. Learn more about what she wants to do and the people who actually use these services instead of thinking about stereotypes and letting your over active imagination make up scenarios.

Instead of imagining her 'servicing' a man, think about her helping someone who without her help wouldn't be able to pick up a paper cup or would be bedridden with a major headache.

Sep 7, 2010, 05:12 PM

You are right, you comment was uncalled for. Although I have some issues I respect and love my wife, she was a medical practitioner for over 20 years in China, I just don't want to see her degrading herself just for the sake of a job.. dealing with people in a hospital situation is different to dealing with people with pleasure on their mind. I am very protective of that for her, for me and for her daughter.
    But I do see your point Cat... its just that the first place she went to was a little suspect. The second place in the shopping mall has a better feel to it. With reference to 'my opinion' I just asked why she couldn't work in a flower shop as she likes tending to her garden. She said that would be perfect... but she keeps bringing up the topic of massage. Daddy or Husband... we both have to consider the other partner in day-to-day life as we both have to feel comfortable in any situation be it work choices, social or otherwise. Thanks guy, haven't been here for a while as things were reasonably stable.. just every now and then something crops up that I have trouble processing.
    Like the other day I went to our local shopping mall to sort out some medical forms during the day, as I walked past the food court I spotted my wife having coffee and a chat with Kevin... my heart skipped a beat but I said nothing and continued to sort out my errands... later I called my wife and explained I was at the mall on an errand perhaps we could meet up, she told me she was in the supermarket!! Later at home I asked her about her day, not a mention about meeting Kevin.. I asked about him and she said oh yes... I was upset because I keep feeling she is doing this behind my back rather than treating him as the family friend she maintains he is and include him in conversation about her day, 'Oh I saw Kevin today, we had a chat and coffee', rather than say nothing and make the whole situation seem what it is not...
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clickaus View Post
    Like the other day I went to our local shopping mall to sort out some medical forms during the day, as I walked past the food court I spotted my wife having coffee and a chat with Kevin... my heart skipped a beat but I said nothing and continued to sort out my errands... later I called my wife and explained I was at the mall on an errand perhaps we could meet up, she told me she was in the supermarket!!!. Later at home I asked her about her day, not a mention about meeting Kevin.. I asked about him and she said oh yes... I was upset because I keep feeling she is doing this behind my back rather than treating him as the family friend she maintains he is and include him in conversation about her day, 'Oh I saw Kevin today, we had a chat and coffee', rather than say nothing and make the whole situation seem what it is not...
    Why didn't you go up to her and say hello? You had a perfect opportunity (and a legitimate one) to surprise her and possibly make her day brighter. Instead, you use it as a trap. When you called, were you still in the mall? Did you see her still in the mall WHEN you made the call? How do you know she was still in the mall when you chose to get in touch with her?

Sep 7, 2010, 06:08 PM

Hi Cat, yes I was waiting inline at the medical centre when I called her. I guessed she would be still in the mall. And yes you made a valid point although I didn't intentionally use it as a trap, I guessed she wouldn't tell me, and I was right... I just wanted her to not make it seem as if she is doing things behind my back but to be open about this so that it stops being a contentious issue
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 07:53 PM

No you do not respect your wife. If you did you would have no problem with her learning that. Especially if it is something she wants to do.

You still have 0 trust for your wife which tells me your marriage is already over and you may as well end it because your not doing yourself or your wife any favors by acting the way you do.

Counseling I see has not worked or you just have not gone?

Sep 7, 2010, 08:10 PM

Jesushelper... my marriage is NOT over, what kind of advice is that? That is just plain rude, disrespectful and not very conducive to helping... this is coming from a 'Relationship Expert'!
    I have no problem with my wife learning a new skill providing it is above board and morel.
    Counseling is still ongoing. Like I said, things have been quite stable but sometimes something crops up that I don't know how to process..
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 08:18 PM

Okay I will rephrase my wording.

In my own personal relationship advice to you it is time for a divorce and move on.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 08:23 PM
    Jesushelper... my marriage is NOT over, what kind of advice is that?? That is just plain rude, disrespectful and not very conducive to helping... this is coming from a 'Relationship Expert'!
    I have no problem with my wife learning a new skill providing it is above board and morel.
    Counseling is still ongoing. Like I said, things have been quite stable but sometimes something crops up that I don't know how to process..
    Yes it is over, it is not being rude but being truthful. It is over. It is done. Long time ago. Yes this is coming from a relationship expert.
    Yes, you do have a problem with everything your wife does. That is a fact.
    Glad your still doing the counseling. This is not cropping up this has been a big explosion right from the beginning.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    Yes it is over, it is not being rude but being truthful. It is over. It is done. Long time ago. Yes this is coming from a relationship expert.
    Yes, you do have a problem with everything your wife does. That is a fact.
    Glad your still doing the counseling. This is not cropping up this has been a big explosion right from the beginning.
    We have given advice until we're blue in the face and it all boils down to the jealousy you have for your wife. From what we have advised yo should be past that. You said you"agreed to let her check into massage therapy. You agreed to Let her. You are not her Dad nor her master.
    Frankly I don't know how she's stood it this long. If you don't loosen up
    Joe is right, divorce is where you're headed. I'm no expert I am a wife and if my husband treated me the way you have treaded your wife, Id be gone in a New York minute.

There are more kinds of abuse than physical , there is emotional abuse.

Sep 7, 2010, 09:10 PM

OK I am really trying not to be that person.

Sep 7, 2010, 09:14 PM

I didn't actually 'agree' to let her... she asked if I would be OK if she went to find out more and I said that she should go to evaluate for herself... kind of different
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 09:14 PM
    OK I am really trying not to be that person.
    Clickus.. Let her do what makes her happy. If she s going to cheat there's no way you can stop it. I don't think she is thinking of that.
    You will drive her away if you continue to dominate her. Kevin is her friend from China and maybe she gets homesick and likes to talk about home. Give her a break.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 09:19 PM
    I didn't actually 'agree' to let her... she asked if I would be OK if she went to find out more and I said that she should go to evaluate for herself.... kinda different
    You should not have to agree anyway. She should do whatever she wants. Separate from you.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    You should not have to agree anyway. She should do whatever she wants. Separate from you.
    You're right Joe.

Sep 7, 2010, 10:42 PM

No he is NOT right... when you are sharing a life together, you don't deliberately do something that is going cause any kind of discord between each other, it's a mutual respect for each other's feelings. Of course you should pursue the things you enjoy, but you don't do things that will cause a problem or put yourself in harms way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wife has been meeting a male friend without me knowing [ 4 Answers ]

My wife has been meeting a male friend on sundays without me know. I fellow her and confronted the two and both answered with "we are just friends". I think it is cheating but she say it not because they are just friends. What do you think?

Worried new wife [ 3 Answers ]

I just married a great man that has grown greedy kids and everyone is telling me that if any thing happens to him his kids can take my home because when we married it became his home now too. Can they take my home that I owned before we married with only my name on the deed. Is my home my new...

Worried new wife [ 1 Answers ]

I own my own home and I just married to a great man but some told me now my home is my new husbands and if he dies his grow kids can get it from me , is that true.

Now looking for the meeting of the wife that didn't know about me and my dad [ 10 Answers ]

I posted a few days ago that my dad did not tell his new wife about me(to get the whole story on why he was not in my life I'll have to e-mail you or write a book,lol) but, now she knows and have e-mailed her over the weekend,she knows why and now know about me she seems accepting and all, she...

View more questions Search