Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    somebodys sister Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 02:56 PM
    Non-Church Catholic Wedding
    Does the Catholic Church have a hard and fast position on non-church weddings (for example, an intimate, personal wedding ceremony in a quiet courtyard), or is it left to the discretion of the diocese/parish/priest performing the sacrament?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 8, 2006, 03:02 PM
    I can't speak for the Catholic Church but I do know that in the past, especially in Europe, there were two ceremonies. One small intimate immediate-family-only ceremony in the church and a larger, more public civil ceremony with all the family and friends. It was done that way from long ago because the church and civil ceremonies didn't acknowlege each other so if you run into a snag, you could resort to this. Just a thought?
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2006, 04:27 AM
    Im a Catholic from europe :)

Till this day the average and normal wedding ceremony procedure here is to first get married through a civil ceremony, but that's left rather basic where only the couple go to sign the papers to prove they are married by law, then about 1 week later they have the huge church wedding.

In my instance due to many circumstances I got married in a civil small wedding, not a church wedding.

So it depends where you come from but form where I am although it's a catholic country we are still allowed to have a small civil wedding only. Its up to you.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2006, 05:01 AM
    I believe it is left to the parish priest's discretion. I have heard of many backyard/beach/resort weddings where the priest presided.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 9, 2006, 08:44 AM
    Here in the US it is normally left up to the parish preist ( with some direction of the diocese Bishop) If the parish priest knows the Bishop does not approve of something, he normally will not. But at least in the US the local parish priest will have be more open.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2006, 08:45 AM
    What so in the US you need to ask your parish's priests permission to have a civil wedding?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could the Catholic Church be EVIL? [ 103 Answers ]

Priest faces trial in nun’s stabbing death Body of 71-year-old victim was found under altar cloth 26 years ago Reuters Updated: 10:35 a.m. ET April 15, 2006 TOLEDO, Ohio - A 68-year-old Catholic priest goes on trial Monday in the stabbing death of a nun whose body was found covered by an...

Non church wedding [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm writing because my boyfriend and I want to get married. We really want the big church wedding and invite everyone, the thing is that can take over a year to plan. My boyfrien is 39 and wants a couple more kids. He really doesn't want to wait anymore. We already have one child. Here's my...

Proper way to go about courthouse /church wedding [ 6 Answers ]

What is the proper why to approach this my daughter has decided to marry her soilder at the courthouse in order to be able to go with him to germany.But would like to have a wedding ceremony for family and friends next year.Is this common or will be think wrong of her

Getting married at courthouse/church wedding [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter has decided to marry her soilder at the courthouse so she is able to go to germany with him on his orders can she still have a church ceremony without it being wrong

Dark Ages,Catholic Church [ 2 Answers ]

Why was it called dark ages and was the catholic church behind the dark ages ? I have been reading a lot of books on the subject of the conspicary of the catholic church covering up about Jesus and that Jesus was married and had children,The nights templar guarded this secret.The Masons was...

View more questions Search