Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    im my own enemy Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2009, 09:37 AM
    Are registry cleaners useful?
    I have been in the process of cleaning up my three year old computer in hopes that my baby will run like new. I’ve done everything else I know to do and everything else many others have told me to do. But looking online, many google.com searches result in me looking at some form of a registry cleaner. I’ve looked into a few specific registry cleaners like quad-cleaner, xp medic, and registry patrol, but I have been hesitant to try one out. I understand that cleaning up my registry is undoubtedly good, but my fear is that I won’t notice any improvement. Does anyone have any advice or a name for a different program that I could try? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2009, 09:45 AM
    Ccleaner is the most popular and best (in my opinion): CCleaner - Home
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2009, 01:24 PM

This is of course my opinion, but I prefer just wiping out the entire hard drive and doing a totally clean install of everything. In fact, I'm getting ready to do that maybe this weekend if I have time. It certainly cleans one's registry. ;) I try to do this a couple of times of year (meaning I can also do it fairly quickly). I feel like the clean-up techniques help in the short-run, but not in the long-run, especially when the long-run is years. A clean install certainly is "like new."

Of course, this does require backing everything up and knowing everything you need -- I do a Ghost image on a separate hard drive just in case I do forget something. (As Windows has gotten more complicated, forgetting something happens more frequently. :D) And it requires having all the original installation disks.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2009, 03:30 PM

Assuming you are using XP, check this link out and refer to posts
    3 and 5 - Information on Maintenance and ways to help improve speed of PC

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/comput...rs-233870.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Registry Cleaners. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. How beneficial is registry cleaning and what is a good price to pay for the programm. Canadian dollars please.

Carrier Air Cleaners [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience with any of these air cleaners: Air Cleaners - Carrier I'm interested in looking into them for a new house and also wondering if these can easily added to an existing system. That way if I don't add them in the build, see if I can add them down the road w/o too...

Dyson cleaners [ 1 Answers ]

Why should our Dyson 07 cleaner switch off suddenly although the filters have been changed as suggested. How would one unblock the cyclone if that is the problem?

Registry Cleaners [ 4 Answers ]

Using win98se (I know but xp won't solve my problem as I kind of like 98). I've got about 4 registry cleaners--paid for 1, 3 are free downloads (JV16, etc). When I run all these programs, they all want to delete iexplore.exe (in addition to junk). What's with that? I've never had a problem...

View more questions Search