Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dawn17 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 11:46 AM
    Underage marriage
    I'm not sure what to say about this, but what do you others thoughts about marriage at a young age like around 18?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 12:05 PM

I think statistics show about a 75% chance of it ending in divorce and as a mathematician, I tend to agree with numbers.

There is very little reason these days to get married young. It provides little benefit that cannot be obtained in other manners. Divorce is messy and expensive.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 12:15 PM

I got married at gulp.. 17.

I'm getting divorced now at 23 I've been with him for 4+ years with some separation in between.

There's a lot that I missed out between these ages. I really wish I had waited, and listened to my PopPop when he warned me about it.

The thing about young marriage is although it is an adult decision and your now considered an adult, there is a lot of baggage that comes with it that not many young couples understand.

Your now at the age of entering adulthood and marriage will lead to responsibilities. Sometimes leads to having babies and it can change your goals.
    I wanted to be an English teacher... and now I'm an accountant. Only because he had a problem with me being a teacher [stupid I know].

You are just leaving childhood and entering adulthood. By getting married your ripping that ticket up and taking an expressway to life... and the outcome leaves you with a temporart bliss but a forever regret and even resent towards your partner.

Wait! If you love each other now you CAN wait.

My opinion is just that..
    Sarah
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 12:32 PM

I think that people "in love" and want to get married will not listen to anyone anyway and will do what they want no matter what others think.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I think that people "in love" and want to get married will not listen to anyone anyway and will do what they want no matter what others think.
    Very true FR.. I wish I wasn't such a bonehead. Too bad my PopPop isn't here still so I can get that "I told you so".

Sarah
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 12:44 PM

Seeing as you've only been dating for a month, I'd say it's a terrible idea.

Why the rush? If you're in love now you'll be in love 6 years from now.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...ic-347606.html
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 02:01 PM

I think it is okay to think about getting married one day (I believe I had my wedding day planned out at 13) but I wouldn't get married at the age of 18.

Marriage is so easy to get into but hard to get out of.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    I
    I wanted to be an English teacher... and now I'm an accountant. Only because he had a problem with me being a teacher [stupid I know].
    You know if you really want to be a teacher you can always go back to school. It is never too late.

I started going back to school for nursing, my dream job, and just got back into school. I already completed 3 years but then I left school because I needed a break. That was a bad decision because I really should have stuck with it. Now I enrolled back into school and will start in the Fall and be graduating next year.

Never give up on your dream and I know first hand with kids it isn't easy but where there is a will there is a way.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    You know if you really want to be a teacher you can always go back to school. It is never too late.

I started going back to school for nursing, my dream job, and just get back into school. I already completed 3 years but then I left school because I needed a break. That was a bad decision because I really should have stuck with it. Now I enrolled back into school and will start in the Fall and be graduating next year.

Never give up on your dream and I know first hand with kids it isn't easy but where there is a will there is a way.
    Good for you lizz, congrats, I went to nursing school in 02 and graduated in 06, best thing I ever did. Prior to nursing I was a flight attendant with an airline that tanked in post sept. 11th although I got to see a lot of places and embrace so many cultures it was not as rewarding as the work that I have done and still doing as a nurse:)
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 03:07 PM

Lighterrr, I meant to write "Good for you! I can't wait to be a nurse".

I just think everyone should follow their dreams. I was thinking of being a flight attendant once. Went to the interview, landed the job, but changed my mind.
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Apr 30, 2009, 06:52 PM

I married at age 20 to the man I had been dating since I was 16. We have been married for 2 1/2 years now and, as of right now, couldn't be happier. But we have had those "what if" talks about things happening and turning bad. But the good thing about our relationship is that we understand that we are going to change as people and we want to be there for each other during those changes. We have already changed in certain ways. But what will never change is that we are genuinely nice and good people. We want our lives to change together.

In order to get married at a young age you have to realize that things ARE going to change and there's nothing you can do about it. But if that person is "the one" then no matter what changes about him the love will still be there through it all. It's going to take a LONG while to know if he's "the one"

Take your time and get to know him inside and out. That's all I ask.
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

Apr 30, 2009, 07:08 PM

Me and my Boyfriend are planning to get married a few years after college or so. We want to make sure we are both finacially set alone so we know we can make it if the other dies or leaves. We want to make sure we are set in all ways.

18 is a very young age and it doesn't hurt to wait. Your feelings may change and mentally you may still be maturing. Best to wait for an older age. :)

Apr 30, 2009, 07:41 PM

Very good post and great advice from a younger person. Dare I say that I'm proud of you or does that sound too mommish? ;)
    Just had a good momma raisin' me up. She gives the best advice to life and has never been wrong so far. She's my best friend. :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzball_Kara View Post
    Just had a good momma raisin' me up. She gives the best advice to life and has never been wrong so far. She's my best friend. :)
    If my daughter says the same things when she grows up I'll be extremely happy.

Your mom may be great, give good advice, but it takes the kid listening for that system to work. It's a team effort, so you can pat yourself on the back too. :)

Apr 30, 2009, 07:45 PM

Aw, thanks Alty. That made me smile. :)
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    Lighterrr, I meant to write "Good for you! I can't wait to be a nurse".

I just think everyone should follow their dreams. I was thinking of being a flight attendant once. Went to the interview, landed the job, but changed my mind.
    Ha ha great minds think alike
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 1, 2009, 07:34 AM

Marriage at 18 is a lousy idea, as that's a good way to put life and learning for the future in jeopardy.
    Dawn17 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 07:53 AM

Why am I feeling like this! My heart speeds up every time my boyfriend kisses me or holds? It like there is a large valt of energy in my blood stream!
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn17 View Post
    Why am I feeling like this! My heart speeds up everytime my boyfriend kisses me or holds? it like there is a large valt of energy in my blood stream!
    Because you are in love with him. Love and marriage are two different things though.
    Stary eyes Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 10:12 AM

If you really love the person and you really think it will last and it's not just a crush then do it, just get your parents to sign

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Underage marriage [ 4 Answers ]

OK I live in West Viginia and I have a pregnant fian'ce.How can she marry me or get emanicpated without parent consent or problem?Can anyone help me?

Underage marriage [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am 17 and my boyfriend just turned 18. We are 10 months apart. And we want to get married now. He his tired of how I am getting treated badly at home. I cry on on the phone to him all the time. I want to either get married or emancipated. But I'm not for sure what to to do. My mom said the...

Underage Marriage [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to be 17 years old Saturday and I have been living with my boyfriend for a while and I want to get married. My mom has custidy of me and she doesn't know yet but she won't care she never does. I need to know where I can get the papers telling me what I need exactly to get married and who...

Underage marriage [ 28 Answers ]

I am 15 years old and I have a boyfriend who is 21 years old. Can he get in trouble if we try to get married?( I have a baby)

Underage marriage [ 1 Answers ]

i am 17 years of age and i need a notarized parental consent to get married in arizona. what is a notarized parental consent? how do i get one? and do i need my parent present.

View more questions Search