Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gsouthatHU Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 01:45 AM
    Consequences of hiding marriage from parents
    Im 20 and in college. My now wife is 19 also in college. We got married in November and everything is great. We both decided to keep this from our parents because we figured they wouldn't understand. I didn't start worrieing until I began to ponder the implications it would have on there taxes. If I have been claimed as a dependent up 2 this point, will they be audited if they claim me for '08. I'm a full time student being supported by the folks so I don't understand why that should change? Do I absolutely have to file taxes as a independent and married. Or can they claim me as a dependent as long as I don't claim my wife?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 06:22 PM

If you were not ready for all that marriage entails, why did you marry the lady?

Sorry, but it's time to pony up to the altar and do what you promised to do!
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Jan 15, 2009, 07:15 PM

Once you are married you are an emancipated adult. They cannot claim you... no matter what. You must file and they cannot file with you. Therefore, you might want to tell them so neither of you get audited or taken to jail... however, I am not a legal professional so my answer could have some holes in it. That's just what I was told. Hope it helped.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2009, 03:11 PM

Come on tell us the truth. You snuk off and got married and did not tell your parents because you did not want to loose their financial support, right?
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Jan 16, 2009, 09:48 PM

Well let me guess the exact situation...

Ran off and eloped with fiancée to be romantic and had a nice little romeo and juliet.

Your parents will have to know because they can no longer claim you as a dependent and yea it's going to cost them a lot of money.

The problem is they may be audited for it because there's a marriage certificate and your wife can claim it.

Even if you don't claim the marriage... The dependent is worth much more so it would raise the flag of tax fraud
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 10:57 PM

And I will be blunt, if you are not muture and a adult enough to be proud of being married, and you are hiding it from parents and other family members and people back home that know your parents. Then you are ashamed or wish to do some fraud acting as you are not married.

It also changes the fincial aid situation for next year when applying for grants and loans

So you need to tell them since waiting only makes it worst and worst,
    sylvan_1998 Posts: 156, Reputation: 45

Jan 20, 2009, 08:52 AM

There are also some other things to consider. Insurance fraud. Are you still a dependent on their insurance and is this leagal? I do not know... needs to be thought out though.

I think an annulment would cure all this (but you need to consult with attorneys) and then you and your wife could have a real marriage with both families involved in the celebration.

Wow, you have Hutspah!
    samsonmary Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Well... you need to tell your parents because they will get into a lot of trouble if they claim you on your taxes. It will also be insurance fraud (as mentioned above) if you are dependent on their insurance and you try to use it. Companies are not constantly checking up on their members, so the insurance won't be an issue unless you try to use it for something and it sends up a red flag... then they will investigate and make sure you are allowed to use it and when they see that you're married they will notify your family and you will get into a lot of trouble! You could get it annulled, or you could have a vow renewal and say its your wedding but if you choose that route, I would do it FAST! They either have to know or you have to get it annulled... I'm sorry! I know it's bad. I am 20 and my fiancé is 25 and we wished to do the same thing but I am still a dependent. We are having a big ceremony in about 2 months and my family is less than thrilled to say the least. However, it is much better to have it out in the open than deal with the guilt of hiding it. Also, you need to start paying for your own things now that you are married. My parents helped with school too, but I am now applying for aid and working to pay for everything. It is bad to start of your marriage depending on someone else for financial support... especially if they are against the union! Good luck.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

May 3, 2009, 02:22 PM

Tricky! If you are not mature enough to tell your parents that you are married, then you are not mature enough to be married. The best thing to do is come clean. Tell BOTH sets of parents . Don't you dare risk getting them in trouble with the IRS because you couldn't wait. Man up, tell the truth.
    sjsexton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2010, 09:03 PM
    I did the same thing, but my parents don't claim me, I am not a dependent with them. I have my own insurance, my own everything. They think I am engaged, but soon they'll know the truth. Mine is a tricky situation since I have a twin who is having a wedding soon and my family didn't want me to even plan for mine yet, so we got married to save them trouble and money. They don't know yet so we could have some peace and get used to the married life before saying anything. But what you could tell them about the tax thing is that you don't want them to claim you on their taxes because you would, in turn, receive more grant money from the government if you were independent. They won't like this, and they'll constantly ask why, so it's just easier to tell them. Good Luck! And no I don't think you're too "immature" because you won't tell them, I understand how you feel but they got to know sometime.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convince Parents on Inter-caste marriage? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Friends, Hope you would be able to help me with this... I am a Hindu Brahman guy in love with a girl and I have 2 problems... 1) she is a couple of months elder to me 2) she is non-brahmin... my brother loved and married a gal within the same caste (couple of months elder to him).. my parents...

Consequences of fake marriage? [ 6 Answers ]

Here's the situation: 27-year-old Hispanic male has been dating his 26-year-old girlfriend since February 2007 and living with her and her 2 kids since August 2007. However, he just filed for divorce in early October 2007. He told his girlfriend that his wife left him, but he and his wife...

Will my marriage with my parents wish [ 5 Answers ]

I'm really tensed I was in a relationship but my family members will never agree for that so I'm trying to leave that I want to will I become success in fullfilling my parents dream Reply...

What are the consequences of this? [ 4 Answers ]

I have written credit card cheques that were in my husband's name to myself, forging his signature, and have deposited them into my personal account for spending purposes. I have used three different cheques in three different occasions. The cheques have cleared and the money well spent. What...

Does anyone know the consequences if... [ 19 Answers ]

My husband left me a few months ago and we are now in the midst of a divorce. It was his choice because he has a girlfriend. I have a way of proving in court that my husband smoked marijuana when we were married. Does anyone know what could happen to him if I can prove this in court? Thanks!

View more questions Search