Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluelf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 06:59 PM
    Couple in H1 and OPT
    Hi,

We are a couple, one in H1, and one in OPT, what is the best way for us to file the tax? My understanding is we should file separately, one in 1040a, one in 1040nr, in order to get the OPT Exemption.

Is this correct?

Thank you very much.:)

Mar 19, 2006, 07:05 PM
    Also, can I claim my wife(in OPT) as my dependent?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2006, 10:01 PM
    You CAN each file your own return, or you can file jointly using the Form 1040A and your wife will be treated as a resident alien.

You CANNOT claim your wife as a dependent.

Mar 20, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    You CAN each file your own return, or you can file jointly using the Form 1040A and your wife will be treated as a resident alien.

You CANNOT claim your wife as a dependent.

So her salary is not exempted? So what is exempt for OPT? Only SSN and medicare?

Thanks for your reply:)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2006, 09:30 PM
    Even someone on a F-1 visa must usually pay income taxes.

The exemption under the F-1 visa is for Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A F1 couple, what to file [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for your help! Both my husband and I came to the U.S. in late Aug. 2001. We have been F1 all these years. So, 2005 is the fifth year for us. As F1, can we choose First Year Choice to file as resident alien? Also, we have a U.S. born baby, can we claim child tax credit and credit for child...

A couple accounting questions [ 1 Answers ]

I'm taking a beginning level accounting course, and we have an ongoing project as part of the course. The idea is to create a fictional service company, and take it through an accounting cycle. It's rather freeform - the nature of the company, and most of its transactions are at our discretion. One...

New lab owner, couple questions [ 4 Answers ]

I have had my 5.5 month old lab for 2 weeks now. When can I introduce him to water? We went for a hike today and he jumped in the creek but was hesitant to go in. how do I teach him to swim? Also, he is in his crate for approx 8 hours a day when we are at work. Is that too long? We don't have any...

New pup, couple of questions [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a new pup that's about 5 weeks old. At 5 weeks, the mother didn't want to feed the pups anymore so she just forgot about them. I think they are a mix of Chiwawa and something else (they are white with black spots, ears pointed downward). Anyway, after bringing it home, all it did was...

View more questions Search