Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 26, 2011, 10:45 AM
    Yorkie licking his paw raw
    I have just written the scheduling email at my vet and asked to make an appointment, I just don't know when they'll be free to see Eli.

Last week we had a thunderstorm every day, and Eli gets very nervous in thunderstorms. I don't know if this is necessarily an effect of the nervousness, but at the same time he took to licking just one paw (his hind left paw) between the toes so obsessively that it is now red and bleeding. I looked for any foreign objects and I don't think there is anything, though he's so sensitive there it's hard for me to get a thorough look.

Anyway, I'm at work today and he's at home alone. I have some of that sour tasting medical tape you use to wrap up wounds on dogs, so I wrapped up his paw in that to try and stop him from licking (who knows if he's gotten it off by now). I have one of those cones from Petsmart, but as it's on his paw he's able to maneuver around the cone and continue licking.

Since I don't know when I'll be able to get to the vet (just waiting for them to get back to me with an appointment time), are there any measures I can take in the meantime to help him? He limps around when I take him for walks and I feel so bad for him.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2011, 11:15 AM

Did you thoroughly investigate the paw to see if there is still something in the pad causing your pup to lick that paw? Look carefully when you go home as dogs tend to keep licking a sore paw. I don't think it's due to the storm.

Jul 26, 2011, 02:00 PM

I'll try and look again tonight. The toe he's been focusing on is swollen and tender right now and he really doesn't like me touching it.

Still waiting to hear back from the vet >: ( Is there any way I can help him relieve his discomfort and discourage his licking until I can get him looked at?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2011, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by southamerica View Post
    Is there any way I can help him relieve his discomfort and discourage his licking until I can get him looked at?
    Would soaking it or squirting warm water on it help?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 26, 2011, 04:03 PM

It could be a nervous habbit type thing, behavioral. Kind if like biting nails. The best thing there would be positive reinforcement, when you see him doing it distract and treat. Praise when he stops at your command.

The one most common reason for paw and pad licking and chewing is allergies. Most dogs are allergic to wheat products, and if you are buying commercial dog foods chances are they are high in wheat and corn. It's only going to be trial and error to find the right food for you. One food I always suggest is Blue Buffalo. It's holistic and it's cheap. We don't have it in Canada (well we do, but it's import), so of course I can only rely on research and testimonials. There is a holistic manufacturer here in my town, and they also said BB was a cheap, good food. Here is a link: Blue Buffalo — Discover the Best Dog Food and Cat Foods with our Pet Food Comparison Tools

Of course you can try other commercial brands and have a great response from them, I am just a sucker for good foods for my kid and my dog. Be careful when introducing a high protein food into their diet, remember to do it slowly, and you will not see results immediately. They will still need some grain, such as rice or oats. Even in the wild dogs would get their grain needs met when they ate the stomachs of their prey.

Good luck, and I hope this has helped.
    Bella

Jul 26, 2011, 04:28 PM

Taking him to the vet on Thursday.

Can I give him a bath with Oatmeal shampoo or will that irritate an almost open sore?
    Dogs Expert

Jul 26, 2011, 04:51 PM

I would use an epsom salt bath, this will disinfect and sooth. I wouldn't want to use oatmeal on an open wound. But in future reference when you see him itching or licking, try the oatmeal bath.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jul 27, 2011, 12:29 AM
    Usually dogs will start licking a foot or leg out of boredom, but it may be that he is doing it as a result of the storm, like it helped him not think of the storm so much.

Allergies usually affect all feet instead of just one.

Have the vet check for a foreign object between the toes. Grass awns are a common cause of foot problems. Here is a link to a site that discusses the condition.

In the hot, dry part of the country, Bermuda grass is a popular lawn grass and is a common source for these problems.

Jul 27, 2011, 08:29 AM

So I managed to get him in this morning during walk-in clinic. The vet didn't see any foreign objects and said that the nervousness coinciding with the licking is probably just coincidence because nervous licking doesn't usually happen on back paws. He thinks Eli got a scratch or something irritating on his paw, and he nursed it so much that it got infected.

So, Eli got a shot, a bunch of pills, and a spray.

I'm going to go with positive reinforcement next time I see him licking a lot, and I'm changing his diet.

I feel bad because I left the house this morning after the vet and said "Okay Eli, I'm off to work. Gotta make money so I can spend it all on you!" He understands English so I probably made him feel bad :(
    Dogs Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 08:55 AM

Glad it's nothing too serious. And I am glad to hear that he will be on the mend. Keep us posted. Let me know how you like the new food!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paw/pad problems [ 2 Answers ]

Well its been a few months now since my dog went from active to not wanting to walk. Has had several arthritis shots from vet and put on antibiotics. Starting to walk a little but he will be 14 in September (Maltese) and there is still the odd accident in the house etc but if we keep an eye on him...

How can a cat have 6 toes on their paw? [ 2 Answers ]

A cat had 5 kittens yesterday, and 3 of them have 6 toes on both of their front paws. How did this happen? Their "thumb" morphed into 2 different toes!

Staffy paw licking problems [ 17 Answers ]

My 8 + year old staffy constantly licks his paws and nibbles and worries at them day in day out! Drives me and him crazy. He is also itchy all over and now has very dry scaly skin although not broken skin

Torn Paw Pad! What to do? [ 5 Answers ]

I think that Annie (Black lab 1 yr) tore her pad today at the dog park It doesn't look to bad. What should I do? http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/spikeychick87/IMG_0635-Edit.jpg Can dogs get blisters? http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/spikeychick87/IMG_0632.jpg Thanks!

Kitty paw [ 1 Answers ]

I came home my cats paw was swollen. The door closed on him can someone give me some advice other then the vet for tonight?

View more questions Search