Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manda101809 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2011, 06:59 PM
    I just left my boyfriend, and am truly upset
    So my boyfriend and I have been together for a little over 2 years. I just had to break up with him, not because I loved him but because he was an alcoholic, and dragging me down with him.

I really loved him and for a while he was sober and I had never been so proud in my life. But within the past two months he got a new job and started gradually drinking again, to the point to where he would lie to me about going out.

I guess I don't really have a question, just looking for support really. I feel so horribly bad for the choices he's made... he could have it all, but instead he chose a different path, and I guess I just wasn't worth it to him...
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 5, 2011, 07:31 PM
    I am sorry that you are feeling such a loss, out of a situation that could have turned out so differently.

Try to think of this as a choice he made, for his own reasons. I don't know anybody who has ever conquered an alcohol problem of another person. It is his, and only his, to conquer. Many men and women spend years trying to fight the bottle and win their partner back. It really is so true that until the person drinking deals with the negative consequences to his own life, will change come about. Maybe for him, the losses are not yet great enough to get him moving in a new direction.

We all know that drinking behaviour causes grief to all those who love the drinker. We see the job losses, the effects on children, the enabling behaviour to keep the peace, etc. But truly this is his demon, not yours.

Many can also say, "but he's such a great guy when he's not drinking", and that keeps us going, and 'helping' and making ultimatums and we begin to trust again, only to be devastated when the behaviour starts up again. You are not alone.

I suggest you seek out help yourself, in order to ease up on the guilt and the loss you are suffering now. Drug and Alcohol Counsellors also help and assist with loved ones, as does Alanon. Seek out help if only to regain your confidence, and get your thinking straight about what control you have, and have not, over another person's choices. It is important to come to a clear understanding, so that you are prepared not to fall into this same type of relationship, again.

All the best of luck to you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 6, 2011, 12:58 PM

Sad as this is don't take it as a reflection on you. Its not, its all him and the battle within himself and a battle only he can fight.

It's a very good decision to let him fight it alone, and I hope losing you motivates him to fight to win. Just know you can't help him by being there.

It would also help if you gained knowledge of what he is up against, so the powerful demons he fight won't manipulate you into letting YOUR guard down.

ALANON has that kind of information.

Good luck, and prayers.
    ljubljanan Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2011, 02:32 PM
    Don't blame yourself or think you weren't worth it to him, his problem with booze has nothing to do with you
    Just be happy for the good times and forgive everything else and move on
    deeKbee Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Jun 7, 2011, 05:52 AM
    I have been around alcoholics all my life. My mother was the first in my life. I took care of her from age 8 unil she passed away when I was 23. She drank the entire time. Very heart breaking. Then when I was 28 I got involved with a man who was an alcoholic. For thirteen years he promised to quit. I believed him for thirteen years. He proposed to me while he was in jail for a second offense DUI. I married him because I loved him. Then when he was in jail for a third offense DUI I had a heart attack. I was 39 years old. The stress was too much. Now that I have made it to 57 years of age I am still dealing with an alcoholic. A relationship that's lasted 2 1/2 years. He's in jail today because of a violation of probabtion for a DUI. I have made the decision to stop supporting him.

They were all wonderful people when they were sober. Not so much when they were not. Trust me on this---it is NOT worth it. There is too much heartache. Too much chaos. Don't live your life tangled up with someone who may never be able to stop drinking. I'm sure he is a good person,but he is an addict and it's his addiction not yours. Please don't get trapped in it for years and years. It will only hurt you more. Move on to a better life and look for a sober relible person to love and spend your time with. Wishing you the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I be upset at my boyfriend? [ 8 Answers ]

So I let him borrow my laptop. And one night, he was really in need but we just couldn't do it that night. So I saw in the history that later that night he went on YouTube and looked up girls shaking their butts, and when I brought that up to him casually he told me that he masturbated to that. And...

What to do when boyfriend is upset because of her girlfriend? [ 15 Answers ]

HI, Whenever my girlfriend gets upset or angry she ignores me... I don't know why? If she is making any mistake then she never comes to meet me instead I have to go to meet her... I know that she loves me very much, I can understand her problem that she is afraid of her family but I am not getting...

I'm always angry and upset at my boyfriend [ 7 Answers ]

I'm young and I have a boyfriend 3 years older, we split for about 3 months and we've been back together for 2 weeks now. We're both trying really hard to not let the things that broke us up before do it again. We always fought, and he always admitted to being the one in the wrong. I always just...

Sexual Desire Declined. Boyfriend Upset [ 12 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years. We love each other very much and plan on staying together forever (not sure about marriage as to us it's just a piece of paper but we'll see about that later). When we were first together I wasn't all that sexually attracted to him. I loved HIM...

Should I have been upset that my boyfriend did that? [ 13 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about a year and a half now. Recently he told me that some girl sends him some explicit message on his email. He then decides to show me the email but doesn't tell me who its from. Soon after that he receives another email with a series of naked photos from...

View more questions Search