Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mallorym Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

May 8, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Is "Out of sight, out of mind" really true?
    Hi everyone,

Does this all-too-familiar saying ring true to most of you? I mean after a breakup, (and esp during NC, for example) no texting, no phone calls, no seeing them, getting rid of photos and other memories... basically "forgetting" them completely help get them out of your mind?

Opinions? Stories?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 09:39 AM

It can help... I got rid of any reminders of my ex...
    I actually took the teddy bears he gave me that were holding hearts... cut the hearts off and let my dogs tear them up...

It helped :D
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 09:46 AM

Yea it is true, just read my posts from when I first got here. The night my ex broke up with me, I took down all the pictures, every little note or card and threw them away. I don't live in the past, therefore don't need to rehash it.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 09:47 AM
    Also, just to add to helping myself, I deleted every comment on my myspace she ever put
    Macguyver258 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

May 8, 2009, 09:49 AM

Only half true, the other half of the equation is occupying your mind with other interests/activities. Idle thoughts can't invade an active mind.

Best regards,
    M
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 09:55 AM
    It does help, but breakups are painful, there isn't a cure-all pill to get over the grief and pain.

Time is the only healer. If you want to dwell on the past then you prevent any progression forward, which is why you pitch all of the reminders.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 10:08 AM
    I agree with the time heals all. Its rough going at first sure. But eventually the urge to call or find contact will ease and pass over. You may think of this person from time to time. You may wonder how they are doing or what direction there life took. But that's just natural thoughts you can or may have of any person that's passed through your life.
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 8, 2009, 10:13 AM

Along with "out of sight, out of mind" I found it took forever if I dwelled on what they did wrong and instead if I focused on what I could do better in the future it was easier to accept what happened as another and move on
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 10:39 AM

Everyone has their own way of dealing with a really sucky breakup. There comes a point (at least for me) where you have cried so much, tried so hard to "win" her back, and lost all dignity that you eventually wake up and say enough is enough. NC is the ONLY way to go in my opinion. I could not imagine having to see my ex on a daily basis when this first happened, and every time I contacted her it opened up another wound.

Once you tear yourself down, you realize that you can start from scratch, and be anything you want to be... you realize, too, that you don't need the ex with you to do this. It is almost gaining your sense of purpose and self value back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"True n' Tone Skin Lightner Cream"--contains HQ [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, My name is linksys2000. I am new to the "Ask Me Help Desk" forum, and site. Thanks for all of the information and perspectives. Somehow, this wealth of information leads to better decisions and ultimately thoughtful choices. So thanks to all of you for promoting this site and...

Is it true you can get "semi-perminant" needle tatoos? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! Ive heard before that you can get tatoos done with a certain type of ink that fades away after a few years.. Is this true or total bull? If it is true how long do they last and how effective are they? (Incase you are wondering I'm not getting mixed up with henna tatoos)

Is "love at first sight" true love? [ 12 Answers ]

I find that this is just an immidiate impression of a person that makes the person feel very happy suddently. It might feel like love because you like the way they look, the sound of their voice, their personality? Has anyone of you married someone that originally been attracted that way? Love...

H&R's badly done tax return and "Peace Of Mind". [ 3 Answers ]

I am hoping someone will respond to this. I really need some advice before tomorrow. I took my taxes to H&R just before tax season, it was a new guy doing taxes (seasonal employee), and admittedly, my tax form was slightly in-depth: about 4 W2s, a 1099, and deductibles for both. Anyway, the...

View more questions Search