Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluesweetpea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 08:19 AM
    Why does my mini doxie vomit often and cough (like hacking a furball) at times?
    My mini doxie is almost 4, and the light of my life. He has a problem with vomiting. Usually on my bed or my daughters, at least 3-4 times a month. I have tried changing his food, and he has drops for his anxiety-which sometimes he throws back up to. Is there something about my mini dachshunds tummy that I don't know about? He also, occasionally, will stop what he is doing and start coughing like a cat with a fur ball. Are they prone to breathing problems as well? I have been unable to take him to the vet due to my own medical problems this past year. My first wiener lived 16 happy years, and I want the same for Blue! Thank you, blessings~HH
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 10:09 PM

Had this only been happening since he started on the anti anxiety medication?

What was he on the medication for?

Does it happen when you change his food or at random times?

How often does he cough?

Sorry to answer with more questions but it will help me with your answer.
    krissyg2991 Posts: 142, Reputation: 11

Feb 3, 2010, 09:04 PM

When he coughs is it like a "cough, gag, swallow" thing? Normally, this is indicative of a heart murmur. They build excess fluid in the lungs, cough to clear them, and then swallow the fluid.
    Naturally, the best bet is a check up with the person with the D.V.M.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Strange internal cough/hacking. [ 3 Answers ]

My new doggy Annie just finished her kennel cough meds and I have seen a huge improvement in her personality, she is actually energetic now! But I have noticed that every so often (6-7 times a day) she does this strange internal hacking thing. She will be laying down then all of a sudden she will...

Mini Doxie [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old miniture doxie who is just wonderful. I know every mom says this, but I think he is an over achiever! Anyway, he recently started sleeping on the heat runs when the heat is on. This is something new, as he usually would go into his crate to sleep or find a blanket. Should I be...

Mini Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

To anyone who can answer this... I am a recent first time mini Doxie owner and was wondering why she has gained up to 9 pounds @ only 6 months of age. I take her for 2-3 mile walks everyday. She eats 2 sometimes 3 times a day (@ recommended servings) depending on activity level. I can't help but...

How old is to old? Mini Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old mini dashound. We are looking at possibly breeding her. How old is to old? Also she is a pure bread dog and the stud we are looking at is a dapple(? ) are they OK to breed together? Thank you

View more questions Search