Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evelyn4748 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2010, 05:01 PM
    Friends 6 month old puppy has parvo... is she getting better?
    My friends puppy gotten parvo this week or last few weeks yesterday she pooped bloody diarrhea so we know she has parvo but my friend and her ex have no money to take it to the vet so all they can do is put her down :( but ive been watching the dog all morning and she gets up and walks around and trys to drink water but she still wont eat and if i force it to her she poops it out in a matter of seconds so im just wondering if putting her down is the best thing and if you think shes trying to fight it and what the possibility are of her fighting this?? i just want her to get better but i dont want to see her suffer, its terrible
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 15, 2010, 06:34 PM

Vet or Funeral

Choose
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2010, 08:12 PM

I'm curious as to why they have an unvaccinated 6 month old puppy when they have no money.

Like Catsmine said, vet or funeral, it's harsh but it's true.

Only 50% of puppies survive parvo and that is WITH treatment.
    krissyg2991 Posts: 142, Reputation: 11

Feb 3, 2010, 09:20 PM

Parvo is always the first suspect with unvaccinated puppies but a variety of other things can also cause bloody diarrhea too. The best bet is the vet. If you MUST treat her at home, keep her hydrated with pedialyte and chicken broth. Even if it comes right back out the other end, keep pumpin it through her.

Parvo attacks rapidly dividing cells like the lining of the intestines and the area of the bone marrow that produces white blood cells (which fight infection). Parvo mechanically strips the lining of the intestines causing pain, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and lack of appetite. Also, stripping the intestines allows bacteria to seep into the abdominal cavity, causing a risk for a secondary bacterial infection.

Parvo is a virus so the dog's immune system has to fight it itself, unfortunately, the virus is also attacking its immune system, obliterating its white blood cells.

Most parvo dogs die of dehydration. So hydration is key.

Furthermore, parvo is extremely contagious. It can live in the environment for 6 months or longer and is easily carried on shoes etc.

It would be extremely inadvisable for your friends to get another puppy for a year or so. If they must get one, they need to ensure that it is vaccinated first. Unvaccinated puppies should never be taken to the dog park, etc until they are vaccinated with 3 or more DHLPPC vaccines.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 09:40 PM

Was the puppy actually diagnosed with parvo or are your friends just guessing because they read the symptoms on the internet?

There are many different things that look and act like parvo. Without a diagnosis from a vet I wouldn't be too hasty to assume that it's definitely parvo.

It's a hard time for many people financially, I understand that, but still, they got a puppy, they should have known that they need money to take care of things like this.

Is there a way that they can work out a payment plan with the vet or borrow the money?

Sadly, if they can't and it is parvo, it's unlikely the puppy will survive. Like Shazzy said, only 50% survive with treatment.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2010, 11:05 PM
    There is actually a treatment out there that doesn't require the dog to go to the vet. Its called Parvaide.. Parvaid | Amber Technologies Creates Amazing New Parvo Supplement... Its been proven to work.. It may be worth looking at...

My mom's dog had parvo. She started acting different from the other puppies on a weekend. My mom called the vet to see what we could do... First thing was to feed an easy to digest meal (browned hamburger and rice). Offer lots of water with pedialite. Your puppy needs to stay hydrated...

After a dog has parvo, I believe the virus stays in the ground up to 3 years?? Any puppy, or adult dog, that enters the property has a risk of getting it. You can spray the yard with a disinfectant that is known to kill Parvo specifically to kill the virus..

If this puppy survives parvo, please be aware and ready for health problems. Parvo treatment isn't very expensive anymore... it worries me that the owners don't have the funds to at least have the vet put an IV on the dog.

I do hope the pup pulls through...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 11:19 PM

I have to add that they would also have to disinfect their entire house and everything in it. Parvo is highly contagious and even a dog that's had shots can get it, although usually a much milder version of it.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 07:20 PM

Why don't they surrender her to the SPCA?
    n15 Posts: 18, Reputation: -1

Feb 4, 2010, 07:35 PM

If this happened in January and there is no reply I am afraid things turned for the worse ,my uncle had this doberman ,wich is my favorite dog and I remenber him talking about the injections for that back then I tought this only happened to doberman dog s ,nothing bad happened to him but I hear he died now and probably before his time because he was on the roof of the house ,well I hope the dog made its really sad to hear stuff like this to happen to a poor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

4 month old puppy died of Parvo [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to the board. We dog sat a 4 month old black lab for 1 week. He was not sick. Four days after we took him home, he got sick. They took him to the vet. The vet said it was Parvo. He was sick 3 days. Poor baby died yesterday. He was a great pup. They said he had his shots. He liked to...

Puppy with parvo [ 1 Answers ]

I had a puppy for 7 days he had to be put to sleep due to parvo I have a 2 1/2 year old dog has all shots how long should I watch him for symptoms

My 6 month chorky has parvo [ 2 Answers ]

My chorky has parvo. She's been in the hospital for three days now. I was told earlier that the vet wanted to put her on a feeding tube, that she's has stopped eating and drinking. They have had an IV in since I took her in. On day two they said she was not acting like a dog with parvo and she...

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

Parvo Puppy [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I recently bought a Shihtza-poo puppy from a rescue on 21 Apr 06. The rescue stated ,"Animals that go thru this rescue are spay/neutered, brought up to date on their vaccinations, checked for heartworms and parasites, and leave to go to their new homes after our vet tells us they are in...

View more questions Search