Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babiekayts Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Home dying gone very wrong
    I dyed my hair with a light brown at home dying kit, and my roots turned the color I wanted, a nice light brown, and the ends of my hair turned a grey almost green color, and it didn't take in all spots, a good deal of it is still blonde in spots.. I look like a green cheetah. I talked to my grandma who said its cause I have glassy hair, and it had been bleached for years, I tried washing my hair with hydrogen peroxide and shampoo, (like she told me to) I tried lemon juice, and I tried dish soap like I had read all over the web, nothing seems to be working, I have a wedding I am going to be in, in a week and I have to get it to a normal color quick!! I can't afford to go spend a lot of money at the salon, :(:mad:PLEASE HELP!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 01:47 PM

Buy a color stripper like ColorOops to help get the color out.
    If that does not work then you may have to go a darker shade.

Most bleached/light hair requires a color with a red tone in it or else it won't take.

I'll try to remember how my mum explained it too me...
    You hair is made up from different layers of color, blonde would only have one layer, then it goes to red, brown and then black.
    Each time you bleach down a shade you remove a layer of color.

When you re-dye you have to replace each layer of color.
    So for example if you were going from blonde to black then you would need to replace each layer of color to get the best result.
    Dye red, then brown, then the final layer of black.

If you are just going to a light brown then you need to choose one with a red tone in it.
    It won't look red but it needs to be a warm color over bleached hair.

I hope that makes sense.. or is my memory not so good :D
    babiekayts Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 03:38 PM
    I guess I should have specified. I am a natural blonde, its an ash blonde actually, and I decided that brown is not the color for me, and now I am trying to get it back to blonde without killing my hair or it turning orange or another horrific color. :( please help.
    crisluvsu731 Posts: 150, Reputation: 6

Jul 22, 2009, 03:59 PM

You need to buy some of that shampoo and conditioner for blonde hair. It has a little bit of dye in it and will help change the color and keep it healthy
    503person Posts: 57, Reputation: 11

Aug 1, 2009, 11:40 PM

Just dye it again... I find when trying to go back to blond I sometimes have to do it twice. And pick a warm blond tone, it will help to cover up the spots and make it seem more even
    rosebud135 Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Aug 2, 2009, 12:40 AM

Try black. And scrub your hair like your washing it. It will fade into dark brown.
    Don't get jet black. Just an off black and it should do as you please.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Aug 2, 2009, 01:18 AM
    I don't know if you already found a solution for this because I think the wedding might have been for this weekend. But you can try a couple of things. Mix baking soda with the lemon juice. It WILL dry your hair out. Actually anything you do to it at this point will dry it out. SO make SURE you get a really good conditioner that hydrates. If that doesn't work to get the green out you might have to bleach your hair. Are you in the states? If so go to a Sally's and get a lightener. It's a powder not a liquid. This is essentially a stripper for your hair, so use it carefully and do a small test strip before you do your whole head.

Mix the lightener with a 30 volume developer. It's the strongest developer you can buy that won't hurt your hair more than help lift the color. You will need to check your hair frequently if you use this and it can be left in for no longer than 60 minutes. Try 15, then check it every couple of minutes to see if it's lightened enough to do the trick.

Home hair dying is hard to give advice about without you posting an actual picture of your hair. And a job like this should really be done by a professional. It's very likely that your hair will experience some breakage, and certainly WILL experience damage as bleaching damages the hair. You are essentially stripping pigment off the follicle and taking strength from your hair. I advise you to bleach sparingly, and not more than three times in a 3 week period.

If you have ANY friends who dye hair I suggest you call them and explain the situation. Any hairdresser with a heart has seen green hair and will cut you some slack on the price if you want this done properly. Dying hair can be like painting art. Some people do it beautifully, some people do it well enough to make them happy. If I were you, I would call every hair dresser in the phone book and see if you can work something out with one. It's worth a shot!

Good luck. If you need the lightener or developer question answered more fully I can explain more, but I still suggest trying baking soda and lemon then calling every hair dresser under the sun. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can home pregnancy tests be wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

My periods come like clockwork every 25 days, ever since I was eleven. This month, however, I am 5 days late. I have all the signs of PMS -- mild (very mild) abdominal discomfort, lower back pain, moodiness, light headedness -- but with frequent headaches and nausea. I took two home pregnancy...

Can a home test be wrong [ 5 Answers ]

I am only four days late but I have exteme heart burn and I am exhausted. I have frequent urination and am very thristy, I am not diabetic, I checked my blood sugar already. I have taken two home pregnancy test one with morning urine and both are negative. They are the digital tests that say not...

4 EPT Home test with NEGATIVE. What's wrong wit me? [ 6 Answers ]

Dear... Me having spotting for a week and it start early than my period schedule. What's wrong? Could I am pregnant or what? I had 4 negative on EPT home test and still spotting with some of little red/brown discharge and white stretchy like egg :( . HELP PLEASSEE

View more questions Search