Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria06 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Flying with a baby
    Anyone any tips for flying long distance with a 5 and a half month old baby.

He breast feeds but is never a settled feeder - very distractable and only goes on when hungry. He doesn't feed and snooze and certainly doesn't comfort feed.

At night he sleeps great but does get noisy and crying when very tired. He needs to be cuddled to sleep standing up which is fine but difficult on a plane.

He is semi-weaned taking baby rice and purées but not fully weaned.

Any tips?

Anyone any tips for flying long distance with a 5 and a half month old baby.

He breast feeds but is never a settled feeder - very distractable and only goes on when hungry. He doesn't feed and snooze and certainly doesn't comfort feed.

At night he sleeps great but does get noisy and crying when very tired. He needs to be cuddled to sleep standing up which is fine but difficult on a plane.

He is semi-weaned taking baby rice and purées but not fully weaned.

Any tips?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 02:28 PM

Try breastfeeding or give him a pacifier during take-off and landing; it will help with the pressure on his ears. That's what our pediatrician recommended.
    GirlWSlingshot Posts: 224, Reputation: 21

Jan 20, 2009, 02:30 PM

When I flew I brought a nursing cover up even though I don't normally use one. Less distractions for the little one and a bit more privacy for you.

I also bought a whole bag of inexpensive toys that my son had never seen before. He was a few months older than your son but I think the principle might work the same. I hid the toys in a backpack and brought them out one by one during the flight as a distraction any time he started to get fussy. I would recommend buying an extra seat for the baby if you can. If nothing else, it'll give you some extra space. I've flown without one and it's no picnic, but it is do-able.
    Rolly_Pollie Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Jan 20, 2009, 02:42 PM

I just traveled with my son over the holidays, and he was the same age! Lol

Tip one: check as much as possible. It is very difficult to carry a bunch of toys and distractables for the baby, and your purse, and another carry-on. If at all possible, only carry on one bag.

Two: make sure you bring something for him to munch on, or suck on. Their little ears will get sooo clogged, and because it's such a new feeling, it can be very frustrating, and lead to a very unpleasant plane ride. (also: if you are traveling to a very different climate, make sure on your way back to have an aspirator for him, as he will probably be stuffy and unable to breathe)

Three: if you plan to breast feed, buy 2 seats. That way, if he wants to nurse, you and he are comfy, as well as your neighbour! :-)
    charl89 Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 02:57 PM

I was cabin crew and my only advice is like the post above, take something for them to suck on, anything. As the plane rises the pressure really gets to their poor little ears and that's why they pretty much always cry. Making them swallow, gets rid of this problem.

Also if you need anything just ask the crew they will be very helpful.

Have a good holiday
    sylvan_1998 Posts: 156, Reputation: 45

Jan 20, 2009, 03:02 PM

Swaddle the baby if he becomes very unruly and you are at your wits end. My children would cry and I would swaddle and they seem like the hate it, but would calm down in minutes.

I would forget this and someone would remind me and even after months of not swaddling, at 3 if a tantrum was out of hand, swaddling would always put the kybash on the crying.

All other advice is top notch. Take plenty of diapers and wipes and changes of clothes. Delays are inevitable when you need them the least.

Good luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 04:24 PM

Please do not ask the same question more than once, your posts have been merged

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does flying mean? [ 3 Answers ]

I tend to have dreams of flying, but not just flying more of just walking but being lifted off the ground very high until my next step. This happens to me a lot. Any help?:(

Flying with a 9 month old. [ 2 Answers ]

We will be flying with my son who is 9 months old in a couple of weeks. He flew once before when he was 5 months old without problem. But now, he is SO active, and does not take a bottle during the day. Does anyone have any pointers on how to have a smooth flight? Thankfully we do have a layover...

Flying at 26 weeks [ 3 Answers ]

I have a real worry just now and advice is conflicting. I have had 3 miscarriages -all very early last year and at present am 24 weeks pregnant and all seems to be going well. I had some spotting around 8 weeks but none since. Baby is moving lots and all is fine. My husband and daughter...

Scard of flying. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, I'm after some advice. The wired thing is my first flight 14 years ago I enjoyed. Since then I've been on four other holidays aboard and hated every moment of flying. Flying seems to be getting worse the more I travel. All sorts go through my mind from take off. I'm not so bad when I...

What to do with flying and no ID [ 2 Answers ]

Sorry I did not know what category to place this ? in. My mom is currently vacationing in Florida where they have a second home in Florida, she had her poketbook stolen with all her id and credit cards. She is due to fly home next sat. Her drivers license is for fla. But all her mail goes...

View more questions Search