Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marky7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 10:54 AM
    When should I leave my kitten alone outside
    Two weeks ago I intoroduced my ginger kitten, Ruby to the great outdoors! She's 5 months old and has had all her jabs. She's also due to be spayed at the beginning of March.
    While I've accompanied her outside in the garden she's started venturing further (much to my panic at first!! ) and I'm just wondering how long should I keep going outside with her before I just leave her to get on with it.. With her being female she's still quite small and I worry about attacks from other cats (there's a couple in the neighourhood!), I also worry about her being out at night. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 11:41 AM

I would definitely keep her indoors until she is properly spayed, but now that you have taken her outside it may be difficult to do this. As for attacks from other cats, that very rarely happens in a neighbourhood unless it is an issue with territory, and she will be protecting hers. Female cats are more then adequately equipped to defend themselves.
    charl89 Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 11:56 AM

With my little girl Sheebah, I was a nervous reck when she went outside, so I let her out like you did. She will be OK now to be left to come and go as she pleases, she knows where home is and won't venture to far from home. If it makes you happier keep her in a night for a few weeks and just let her out in the daytime and then leave it open for her to go as she pleases. Honestly she isn't going to go away she will come home.
    In terms of spaying, my kitten was out before she got done, I am sure she won't go and get pregnant. Anyway as long as you get her done at about 6 months that's OK.
    In terms of the other cats, mine just runs home, she's to scared at the moment, I am sure once she is older she will defend herself.
    Hope it helps
    Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 12:07 PM

It isn't the point of 'i am sure she won't go and get pregnant', if they come in heat there is no choice for them. Then you have to deal with the kittens that come along.

Keep her in until you get her neutered and stay on the safe comfortable side of life.

Jan 11, 2009, 03:09 PM

Personally I didn't read your post.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2009, 05:04 PM

I must say, I think that letting her go outside is a bad idea. Other cats may or may not bother her--it's hard to predict--but cars won't hesitate. And there are racoons, possums, dogs, weird people (it happens, more often than some people realize). If you have to take her out, you can start her on a leash. My cats learned the boundaries of the yard, and come when called (just like dogs, in fact); still, I've never left them out unattended. You could also build her a cat enclosure if you have the means and the inclination. And it's just a terrible idea to let her go out before she's been spayed.

Remember, also, if you leave her outside unattended, she will pick things up. This is a great way to end up giving lots of your money to a vet.
    Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by charl89 View Post
    personally i didnt read your post.
    Think a while about your reply to the OP. 'You are sure she won't go out and get pregnant'. The only a way to make sure a female cat won't get pregnant, is having her neutered as soon as humanely possible. Female cats don't run away from a male cat, their urge to mate is just as strong as the male.

To safeguard any chances of her getting pregnant with unwanted and unfortunately, hard to find homes for kittens, is keep the female in until neutering can be done.

Jan 12, 2009, 11:21 AM

Well my cat went out for over a month before getting done so I had no problems, I was only suggesting, like me I had to get my cat out as my landlord demanded her out at 4-5 months old so I had no choice otherwise I would be homeless.
    So its different for everyone.
    KayGates Posts: 95, Reputation: 5

Jan 23, 2009, 04:43 AM

Cats are pretty independent animals, and I don't think her being outside too much would be a problem. I live in a town, and my cat comes and goes as he pleases. He knows where home is.
    Everybody get of Charl's back. I understand what they were trying to say.
    Your cat will go into heat around six months, so make sure you get her spayed right away if you don't want kittens.
    Other than that, I think she will be fine outside, unless you live next to a busy road.

Oh, and if your little ginger kitty starts getting really affectionate, putting her butt in the air a lot, and just acting different, Don't let her out. She is probably in heat.

I am not an expert, but I have had many cats throughout my life.

Good luck with little Ruby :)
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 04:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KayGates View Post
    Cats are pretty independant animals, and I don't think her being outside too much would be a problem. I live in a town, and my cat comes and goes as he pleases. He knows where home is.
    Well, there's a big difference between what one thinks and what the facts are regarding the issues and dangers faced by outdoor cats. A 10 year reduction in average life span is just one of them.

Everybody get of Charl's back. I understand what they were trying to say.
    This really isn't about anyone getting personal, but it is definitely about getting appropriate advice out there. The "i am sure she wont go and get pregnant" line was absurd enough to warrant a correction.

Your cat will go into heat around six months, so make sure you get her spayed right away if you don't want kittens.
    Other than that, I think she will be fine outside, unless you live next to a busy road.

Oh, and if your little ginger kitty starts getting really affectionate, putting her butt in the air a lot, and jsut acting different, Don't let her out. She is probably in heat.
    What happens if she goes into heat while she's outside? She won't be doing anything BUT looking for a mate at that point. What makes you so sure she'll even go home during that time? That's pretty comparable to having no plan at all.
    KayGates Posts: 95, Reputation: 5

Feb 2, 2009, 06:49 PM

Then let her go outside until she is around 5 months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My cat only had one kitten. [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible for my cat to only have one kitten?

My kitten [ 7 Answers ]

Kitten just died :(

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

New kitten [ 10 Answers ]

I'm getting a new kitten, I don't have any other cays but I do have to dogs, I was wondering if I should get a girl, or boy kitten. Im not going ot get it neutered, and its not going to bew aloud outside. I want it to be calm and socialanble which gender of cat is more like this?

Is my kitten ill? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a little concerned about my 8 week old tabby kitten. We only got her today and she has already passed tow diarrohea stool, the last of which I noticed there was a slight sign of blood loss. Not a lot, but enough to colour a few of the cat litter stones. She's lively and playful, hasn't yet...

View more questions Search