Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sgam Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Name translation
    Can somebody translate the name Shikha in sanskrit for me please??
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 12:29 AM
    I seem to have had some reasonably good success using the following site. Sanskrit Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit I do wish that we had an expert here in translating words into Sanskrit. However, until we do, this may be the best that we can do for now.

Perhaps there is the proper translation on the following link? I did put the name in, and what is on the link are the translations that it came up with.

Sanskrit Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit

Do you know what the name means in English? Perhaps knowing that would help in being able to find the correct translation.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 12:44 AM
    From Wikipedia --

"The sikha or shikha is a Sanskrit word that refers to a long tuft, or lock of hair left on top or on the back of the shaven head of a male Orthodox Hindu. Though traditionally all Brahmins were required to wear a sikha, today it is seen mainly among Brahmacharya, 'celibate monks' (as in ISKCON) and Sanyasins, 'renounced devotees' (see also tonsure)."
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 01:39 AM
    With what Wondergirl has posted concerning the possible meaning, perhaps the following is the proper translation into Sanskrit. This is also referenced from the site mentioned above.

शिखा

I wish that I could make it bigger for you. I did try to do that. However, it wasn't working out so well.

Jan 15, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Thanksss clough, yeah I found the same translation, my dad did write it for me I wanted to confirm it! Shikha means peak/top of a mountain, dun tink it has anytink to do wit lock of hair left on back of head. Thankssss againnn!! Cnt wait to get it tatooed!
    bannana_010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Wow

Jan 15, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Woww??
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 11:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgam
    thanksss clough, yeah i found the same translation, my dad did write it for me i jus wanted to confirm it! shikha means peak/top of a mountain, dun tink it has anytink to do wit lock of hair left on back of head. thankssss againnn!!! cnt wait to get it tatooed!
    Based upon what you are saying that it means the peak or top of a mountain, then below is a translation that might also work that is from the same site that I referenced in my earlier post.

शिखर zikhara m. top of a hill

The translation that I have already given you, does appear to be for a lock of hair. Please note that there is just a slight difference in the translations.

शिखा zikhaa f. lock of hair on the crown of the head
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Jan 29, 2008, 05:20 AM
    Sgam I would suggest you believe what wondergirl, Clough have said. The top of a mountain is Shikhar. Shika for tuft of hair (sort of a ponytail with a single knot) worn by the Brahmins (priests) of the Hindu community as suggested by Wondergirl. Shikha also means tiny branch of a plant/tree.

Jan 29, 2008, 03:27 PM
    शिखा- can someone make this a bit bigger for me for my tattooist? I'm a bit crap wit technology u see! Thank youuuu

Jan 29, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgam
    शिखा- can someone make this a bit bigger for me for my tattooist?! im a bit crap wit technology u see! thank youuuu
    Bigger as in font size?? I shall try. (NB शिखा Shikha is also a girl's name.)
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 11:18 PM
    शिखा

Oops! Didn't work. I'll try taking a picture...
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 11:34 PM
    This should be better.
    Attached Images

Jan 30, 2008, 12:31 AM
    shikha2.pdf

Name:  shikha3.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  29.4 KB

Sending you a JPEG version and PDF (Shikha2) version as attachment. Tell me if this helps. If your tattooist wants it as Vector drawing (eg Corel) which is also easier to resize as per requirement here is the link shikha1.cdr .Please download the CDR file from media fire.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 12:34 AM
    Nice job above! :) Where did you find that one, please?

Jan 30, 2008, 12:43 AM
    I typed it in Corel Draw, converted to JPEG and PDF. Editing in Corel is pretty easy.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 12:49 AM
    Thanks! So, is that particular font already available in Corel Draw? Or, did you have to add it to the program? The font is really beautiful!

Jan 30, 2008, 02:08 AM
    No Corel does not have it. I installed it. I could upload them for you if you like.

Jan 30, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Just showing off a bit!!

Name:  shikha4.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  25.0 KB

Name:  shikha5.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  26.6 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a translation. [ 6 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me what this means? Tu aurais envie de faire l'amour ce soir? Thanks!

Translation [ 1 Answers ]

Could you tell me what language is this and translate for me Ma scherzi? Ma che cos'è tutta questa storia?

Translation [ 2 Answers ]

Can data... via floppy disk... be translated from apple laptop to i.b. m desktop computer.any added detail will be wellcome. Thanks

View more questions Search