Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dorna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Strange wires in one phone jack, and get loud buzzing sound instead of dial tone!
    Hi,

Here's my issue. I just moved to this apartment and got my phone connected (and dsl). I have three phone jacks in the livingroom that work perfectly, normal dial tone and the dsl modem is on them too. But I want to use the phone jack in my room since it's my private phone and dsl. There is a phone jack in my room that didn't have a dial tone at first, I opened it and saw that no wires are connected to the jack, and the colors are not the blue/red/yellow/black that I expected from reading about it, they're pairs of blue/red and red/blue, orange/white and white/orange, and two other pairs like that.

I tried all possible combinations and the only time I hear anything on the line is when I connect the red/blue and blue/red, but it's not a normal dial tone, it's a loud buzz. So I read about that and people say it may mean there's a short somewhere. The wires look like they're 100 years old.

This morning I checked the phone box outside and saw that in the box there's a 2nd line for apt 7 too, probably previous tenants had it.

So my question is, could it be that the bedroom jack doesn't have the same wires coming into it? Because while there's a buzzing sound here, other phone jacks have a normal dial tone, it I had shorted it shouldn't it have affected other ones too?

And why is there so many wires in this jack, there is a big loop of wires that are different colors than the ones that I've tried. I just can't figure out what are the possible reasons for this not to work, and I don't want to have to run the line from living room when I have a jack in my room!
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 23, 2008, 11:00 AM

My house is 100 years old... I have the same type of wires in some places. But, it doesn't mean they are old... just a different style.

Sounds like a short... do those wires come out in the box outside? If not, can you get in the basement?

You need to find where the other end is... make sure they are hooked up. O
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 11:05 AM

The CAT 5 wires is the norm today. 4 pairs. A normal telco jack can support 3 lines. One, just like an Ethernet jack can support 4 lines.

The blu/wht and wht/blu pairs are usually line #1. It's the line that's connected when a standard telephone is connected. Line 2 can be for 2 line phones etc. Line 3 could be a fax. Just ideas here.

The buzzing line could be a bad line that was disconnected. Or possibly the DSL chatter.

The phone company could have misconnected the line. You don't know what pair it is on. You should be able to take a phone and test a line outside and get a dial tone.

You should then be able to call that number or your number from say a cell phone to test.

You need dialtone outside at the test jack that responds to your phone number.

The telco company should be able to tell you the pair that's connected at the pole.

You really have two choices here:

Connect the blu/wht wht/blu pairs to the incomining cable.
    Or
    Connect the live telco pairs and continue them to your jack.
    You will connect a pair to the GEEN and RED terminals.

See:

Doing your own telephone wiring

Noise like your describing may be a faulty protector on the phone companies side if the line is live.

Moral: Get dialtone outside and determine if it's the proper number, otherwise forget doing the inside stuff.
    dorna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 11:48 AM
    YESS!
    It worked! I hadn't even tried the white/blue and blue/white, because I was confused about the loop, I just realized that the loop of wires is all they bring to each jack, in my case some happened to be cut, which made me think that only the ones that are cut can be connected, not the ones that are in the loop.

The two loops, white/blue and blue/white were missing part of their sleeves too, but I thought it was just an accident since there was paint all over the wires too!

I'm so glad I didn't run the wire all over my apartment!

Thanks for your help!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 02:40 PM

For good DSL performance the twisting density must be unifor to the connection and the sheaths stripped as little as possible. The twisting has the bigger effect.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2008, 06:12 AM

Glad you got it working.
    Sounds like you have twisted pairs(UTP)
    The first 4 pairs are used for Network(White/blue,white/orange, white/green, and white/brown pair)next is white/slate(gray). Then the "Red group"(red/blue, red/orange, red/green, red/brown, then red/slate.
    Also White/blue is usually first line, orange pair is second line, and so on if for TELCO.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone rings, DSL works, but no dial tone [ 4 Answers ]

My landline is doing something odd. The DSL works just fine and the filters are installed correctly, but I have no dial tone. The phone will ring and caller ID works, but when I pick up there's nothing. When I hang up it continues to ring. This is happening on all the jacks. I have tried...

No dial tone with Verizon new phone line [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everybody how's it going? I'm having a problem with a new phone line I ordered from Verizon. There is no dial tone even though they said that the service has been established. I've done the NID test and there is no dial tone from the NID, so I think the problem is there. I think I've...

Landline phone DSLyes but no audio dial tone [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, All of a sudden (high wind weather went through the other night). Coincidence maybe. Now singlr line phone system has DSL that still works but audio / dial tone do not work. Unplugged all phones and plugged back in one at atime and still no dial tone. Opened box on out side and...

Phone has no dial tone, but wires in house connected [ 2 Answers ]

Okays people can call and they hear the phone ring and ring, but my phone has no dial tone and won't ring, but if I were to pick up the phone and someone happens to be calling at the same time I can hear it ring. I have att, and could it be the outside box, and if so how would I connect it back,...

No dial tone but phone rings [ 5 Answers ]

I have no dial tone but the phone rings very low when someone calls and when I pick it up it's dead except for another low ring on other end. I live on second floor of garden apt. could the person below me have punctured the line coming up from the NID with a nail or screw maybe hanging a picture...

View more questions Search