Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    savannahnichols Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2012, 08:43 AM
    Can you be fired if you are ill?
    I was in a car accident and had fronal lobe injury and concussion. It gave me memory loss and changed my personality. Instead of putting me on disability that the company offered they fired me. The month before being fired I was told what a great employee I was and given a gift.

Can something be done about this? I worked there 5 years as a model employee according to my bosses.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 09:00 AM
    Why did they change their mind from offering you disability? Can you explain more of the circumstances please. Offering disability and then firing is a huge about face. Do you have any proof, say in letter form, that they offered you disability first?

Obviously if you were a stellar employee with five years under your belt, in a debilitating accident and getting fired would be against labour laws (here in Ontario) at least.

We really should know if you are the US and what state you live in.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2012, 09:01 AM
    The company cannot "put you on disability". You left out the important stuff like when you got injured, diagnosed, fired, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my husand get fired for being really ill? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was in ICU in a drug induced coma for 3 weeks. He ended up with ICU Neoupathy and is unable to move. He is in a rehap Fac. For ventilation, wound care and because he can't feel anything below his waist. No he has been with the company over a year and we have applied for SSI and...

Fired from job because I was very ill in ICU [ 4 Answers ]

I was just fired from my job today because I was in the Emergency Room and ICU in the hospital all of last week, returned to work today and the manager said I was terminated last week for excessive absences. I was unable to call my workplace nor did I have access to their number, so asked my mother...

Can you be fired for having chron's disease? I am afraid I am going to be fired, [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked for a company for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Chron's Disease 5 years ago and sometimes I get really sick and have to be hospitilized and now they think I should be fired and it really gets me. Is that lawful?? :mad:

View more questions Search