Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimberjonz Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Exam Study
    Has anyone done self study towards a help desk certification? If so, how long did you study for before taking the exams?

Thanks!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 21, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Kim,

Ah Texas, I may not have been born there but I got there as quick as I could.

Bad news, unfortunately, but most help desk schools are not worth the time of day or the time to participate in them. Self study does no real good for you if you don't know what to study. My suggestion for that is to cull through newspapers for help wanted adds for Help Desk Operators, build a list of most requested applications and start studying the. Oh, by the way, these applications can be very expensive, Look for a company where you meet the general requirements and apply there. Let them train you for what they want.

Most Companies, (I speak specifically speak of IBM and Lexmark) don't really like trade schools, with a few exceptions. Help Desk's are usually a entry level job. The prerequisites would usually involve the applicants ability to speak to any customer without losing tempers because they don't understand you. The knowledge of the product set that company supports. Your demeanor while you are on the phone. Your ability to translate "Engineer speak" into "People Speak", Can you play well with others?

Product sets will change between each company and sometimes within one company there will be many support desks.

When I interviewed prospective employees these are the things I looked for. I have 20+ years working support desks For IBM and 15 more years with Lexmark.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

From ap exam about cells [ 4 Answers ]

A laboratory assistant prepared solutions of 0.8 M, 0.6 M, 0.4 M, and 0.2 M sucrose, but forgot to label them. After realizing the error, the assistant randomly labeled the flasks containing these four unknown solutions as flask A, flask B, flask C, and flask D. Design an...

Best books to study for MCSE cert exam 70-270 [ 2 Answers ]

Let me just help to know which is the best book that will cover all the topics that are covered in MCSE cert exam 70-270.

Which exam should I start with? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I am new in this forum and have just joined yr group. I have been planning to take some IT CERTIFICATION, this will add an extra feather in my cap.I have decided to take MCDBA. I have already some hand in knowledge in SQL. Will any one suggest me which exam should I start with.

Just got back from an exam [ 19 Answers ]

I just got back from getting an exam well, I don't know anymore then I did before, but now I have a sore cervix to boot. She said I have a very anterioral tilted uterus and it took her forever to get it, and then she said she had no idea why I didn't start. She then checked my uterus and said that...

View more questions Search