Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poolchefgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2011, 10:24 PM
    Changing ceiling fan to regular light fixture. Wiring question.
    I am switching out my ceiling fan for a simple light fixture which is in the center of my room. I read your other post about the Black, White and Red wires. My new light fixture only has 2 black wires and a ground. Ceiling box has the Black, White and Red. If I only have 2 black wires on the new fixture, which look like a regular lamp cord that was just split up the middle, does it matter which side of that black wire I connect to black and white in the ceiling? Do I just cap off the red? The guy at home depot told me to connect to the red and that did not work.As for the wall switch, it is a double toggle. Same wire scenario and the second toggle switch in this box controls the light in the opposite hallway. I am just changing out the dual dimmer switch for a single pole dimmer to control the main light. Same question about wires, as the new switch has just 2 black and a ground.
    Any help is much appreciated.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2011, 02:40 PM
    I would hook your light fixture to the white and black ceiling wires. If the fixture is indeed like a lamp cord, see if one of the halves has lines or ribs in the plastic insulation. This one I would hook to the white ceiling wire. If you don't find ribs, it probably doesn't really matter.

I'm not sure what you're saying about the switches. Does dual dimmer mean double-pole dimmer? That is, is there another switch that also controls this circuit? If so, you'll want to keep the dimmer you have. In fact, you're done! If I've misinterpreted what you said, try rephrasing and we'll try again.

Turn off the power!

Best of luck,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter ceiling fan with light fixture wiring diagram [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Hunter ceiling fan, model 25466 with a light kit. While wiring the light fixture some of the wires were pulled loose. I need to find out what wires go with which ones to fix it. Going into the fan are three wires, one black, one white, and one black and white striped. On the bottom of the...

Wiring light fixture to ceiling fan outlet with 2 switches [ 7 Answers ]

I searched but couldn't find this exact question... I have replaced a ceiling fan/light with a light fixture. The ceiling fan/light was connected to a single set of black, white and red wires as well as a ground wire. The ceiling fan was controlled by switches in 2 locations. One location...

Changing from 300 watt light fixture to a 52" ceiling fan w/ 2 13w CFL bulbs [ 7 Answers ]

As I understand it, I should be safe using the same wiring. However. The no. of wires, and their configuration when I removed the light fixture (5-60watt candelabra-based bulbs), has me seeking assistance. By the way. I did turn off the circuit breaker. There are three sets of wires coming...

Changing a light fixture on ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay 52" Huntington fan with attached 4 light light kit- I purchased a Hampton Bay single light/bowl type replacement kit- can't figure out how to wire it together- old assembly has a nine pin connector- new light has two wires- any suggestions- have callled Home Depot and they...

Ceiling Fan 4 light fixture wiring [ 5 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with a 4 light fixture I need to know how to wire the light switch. I have one white wire, one black wire, and one green wire available. The green wire is labeled lights. Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search