Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    warwickp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 09:53 PM
    Can I use a ceiling fan receiver/transmitter for a regular light?
    Ok... the subject of this question might not be 100% correct... let me explain my problem.

Currently, we have a ceiling fan/light in the center of our living room. The only way of controlling the fan or light is via a remote control unit (standard Hamilton Bay type thing). I need to remove the ceiling fan in order to mount a DLP projector. I had originally thought that I would simply replace the ceiling fan with a regular light… but upon starting the project the other day realized that once I take the fan down I have no way of controlling the new light as there is no wall mounted light switch.

What I need is something similar to the transmitter/receiver setup used by the ceiling fan. So my first question is... can I just use the same receiver/transmitter from the ceiling fan to control the new light? If it was technically possible I guess the biggest issue would be finding a place to store the receiver box.

If this isn't possible... any other ideas?

Thanks,

Warwick
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 15, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Yes you can reuse the receiver from the fan and install it in the junction box above your light fixture, if it will fit. The blue wire from the receiver is the hot wire for the light that will still be controlled by the old handheld transmitter. I would caution you to put a twist nut on the black wire since it could accidentally be energized by someone pushing the wrong button on the transmitter.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 15, 2008, 03:21 PM
    If you have to open ceiling to get a good mount or have attic access. May be able to add Extension ring(s) to box to make room for receiver, then split a receptacle and have half constant hot and half on remote dimmer, but I just remembered dimming a receptacle is not allowed, you may hardwire to the lights to allow remote dimming. Then just have both halves constant hot for projector.
    Hopefully you have a constant hot in there as well, if not, and you have conduit you may be able to push or pull a wire in to that location.
    warwickp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Yes you can reuse the receiver from the fan and install it in the junction box above your light fixture, if it will fit. The blue wire from the receiver is the hot wire for the light that will still be controled by the old handheld transmitter. I would caution you to put a twist nut on the black wire since it could accidently be energized by someone pushing the wrong button on the transmitter.
    Thank you for the reply... I will try this over the weekend.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 07:38 PM
    The above advice is correct.

Although as an advocate of ceiling fans, I encourage you to find one that fits with the projector :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan with receiver, wiring issue [ 4 Answers ]

This will probably be the first of several posts. My house was built in the 70s, most likely by people on acid. :D I have removed my ceiling fan from the ceiling and the wires WERE as follows: Black to Black White to White Blue (fan) to Red (ceiling) My new fan (Hampton Bay Vercelli)...

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan Remote & Transmitter [ 18 Answers ]

Hi- I installed my fans no issues, and then decided that I wanted a remote (especially for the light) so I got a supplemental remote by Harbor Breeze. I installed it fine and it seemed to work; however, there was quickly an issue: When the fan was set to high I could not dim the light (up...

Installing a remote receiver in a ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a Hampton Bay receiver in an existing ceiling fan, model unknown. I have three wires coming out of the ceiling: black, white and red. These are connected to the fan wires: black to black, white to white and red to blue. The receiver only has two input wires: black and...

Remote control ceiling fan transmitter/receive replacement [ 2 Answers ]

Hi -- I just replaced the transmitter/receiver on my remote control light/ceiling fan, and it's working just fine. Thing is, before I installed it, I noted that the new control set said not to use on solid state ceiling fans. Because I didn't buy the fan in the first place, I wasn't sure of even so...

View more questions Search